SaabCentral Forums banner

exhaust messed up NEED NEW ONE

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  G96nt 
#1 · (Edited)
exhaust messed up NEED OPINIONS ON NEW

i cant decide...saab sport catback (2.5") or the JT 3" with two mufflers and no cat (cant afford with cat)

keep in mind i am a pharmacy delivery boy to a chain of assisted living homes (i deal drugs to old people)

i want the flow but not alot of sound i usually roll into the places in mid first or low second gear.

i dont want to lose my job because of a loud exhaust but i do want it to be nice...

please help with suggestions!!

(genuinesaab will be getting my purchase)

oh and i also figure with the 3 inch i can get the 3 inch DP and have some nice air comin through.

HELP!!

See less See more
#3 ·
JT is not loud.
not nearly as loud as people make it out to be.

It's quieter than my old catless HKS hiper on the Galant.

There aren't many places state-side where you can get away with a non-catted car. not to mention the only way saab tuners know how to keep the rear-o2 code from flagging causes you to fail ANY obd-2 test. the good news, is that local exhaust shops can make a slip-fit cat for a JT pretty easily.
there are cheaper cats, but plan on paying $100-$150 for one installed.

#5 ·
Search for "exhaust clip" on the forum. There's an entire thread where people posted sound and/or video clips of their exhausts. I have the saabsport, and I love it. It is not LOUD, but it sounds very nice, like when downshifting in 3rd and 2nd it gives some nice pops and crackles. (but not snap though, he wasn't invited.)

#9 ·
The "problem" with the saabsport, is that it DOES sound like an off-the-lot car.
so, you can scrach that off as a reason TO buy it.

stainless *is* a good Reason, but look @ performance goals as the ultimate reason.

If you really just want the tone, SS is fine, if you plan to make some drastic changes power-wise, look @ the JT.

#11 ·
Doesn't the three inch JT include the downpipe and everything back from there?

If it were me, I might go that route, then get a local exhaust shop to install it, welding in a cat while they were at it. You would probably pay $150 to $200 for the cat and installation.

I don't like the idea of going catless. You might fail emission inspection, you might be throwing codes, and you will be polluting more than necessary.

#12 ·
there's a $400 price difference in the JT w/ and w/out cat.

all you have to do is take that section of the exhaust to an exhaust shop and have them fit a cat in the section without changing the length of the pipe.
Or, have them re-create the section with a cat so you have the option of running with, or without a cat by changing only one of the sections.

IIRC, the section where a cat SHOULD be on the JT is a pretty short section, though. Mine's even shorter, since JT put the first 02 sensor after the flex-pipe (under the oil-pan) instead of in the first bend like Saab does. (the instructions said viggen? perhaps t7 cars have the front 02 sensor further downstream?)

for your plans, the SS is fine. just don't expect to be amazed by it. it's a little louder, and a little less restrictive; that's all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.