SaabCentral Forums banner

Noob MBC+A question

678 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  SterlingSaab 
#1 ·
I'm gonna pick up an MBC+A here soon, but I need some tuning advice. My last car had an actual boost guage, so tuning the MBC was no issue. How do I know how much boost is OK? Just turn it up until I hit fuel cut then back it off a little? Should I replace the turbo valve, or whatever that little Bosch valve is at the same time? Sorry for all the questions. I'm not new to moding or FI, just Saabs :cheesy:

#2 ·
You could always install a boost guage to see what your stock fuel cut is, then install the MBC+A and then fiddle with it from there....

#3 ·
phurst said:
I'm gonna pick up an MBC+A here soon, but I need some tuning advice. My last car had an actual boost guage, so tuning the MBC was no issue. How do I know how much boost is OK? Just turn it up until I hit fuel cut then back it off a little? Should I replace the turbo valve, or whatever that little Bosch valve is at the same time? Sorry for all the questions. I'm not new to moding or FI, just Saabs :cheesy:

Hey dude, I'm in exactly the same boat. I just bought a 99 9-3 convertible too, and I've decided that MBC is the only mod I'm going to do for now. I'm also not new to FI, but new to Saabs.

I just put a boost gauge in my car, mostly out of curiosity as to what the stock "turbo" gauge means, and it helped me firgure out a problem I had. Do you live in Northern Virginia? If so, I'd be happy to meet up with you and we can get the MBC's at the same time, and if you don't want to get a boost gauge, then we can do some runs and use my boost gauge. We can turn the controllers up the same number of notches, do some pulls and compare, and etc. If you are in the NoVA area, I'm almost always at the Friday Chick Fil A meets in Dulles/Sterling.

I can also help you put in a boost gauge if you want. I've basically already taken most of the car apart to see where things go.

#4 ·
SterlingSaab said:
Hey dude, I'm in exactly the same boat. I just bought a 99 9-3 convertible too, and I've decided that MBC is the only mod I'm going to do for now. I'm also not new to FI, but new to Saabs.

I just put a boost gauge in my car, mostly out of curiosity as to what the stock "turbo" gauge means, and it helped me firgure out a problem I had. Do you live in Northern Virginia? If so, I'd be happy to meet up with you and we can get the MBC's at the same time, and if you don't want to get a boost gauge, then we can do some runs and use my boost gauge. We can turn the controllers up the same number of notches, do some pulls and compare, and etc. If you are in the NoVA area, I'm almost always at the Friday Chick Fil A meets in Dulles/Sterling.

I can also help you put in a boost gauge if you want. I've basically already taken most of the car apart to see where things go.
I'm in Richmond, I'm affraid. What is your boost guage telling you as far as stock boost levels? How hard was it to install, and where did you locate it?

I just got my car last Saturday, so this weekend I'm going to start learning my way around under the hood.

#5 ·
phurst said:
I'm in Richmond, I'm affraid. What is your boost guage telling you as far as stock boost levels? How hard was it to install, and where did you locate it?

I just got my car last Saturday, so this weekend I'm going to start learning my way around under the hood.

My boost gauge is telling me about 7-8psi in first and second, and a bit more in 3rd, which compares to the top part of the yellow on the stock thing, not into the red at all. I've gathered from this board that you can up that at least into the low teens without really doing any other mods. Of course check your cylinder compression and oil and stuff first to make sure the car is generally healthy.

The install was easy, but a little tricky. If you pull your glove box out (a bunch of torx screws) near the upper right inside behind is a hole you can reach through and feel the rubber grommet where there's a hole in the firewall. It was a pain, but I made a small hole there. I'll take a bunch of pics today of all the critical install points, including where I tapped the line and stuff.

I mounted the gauge where the headlight switch is. Since the lights are on all the time anyway (DRL in the US models) and turn off with the key, you can just leave the switch "on" and tuck it back into the dash. Then you'll be able to turn your fogs on and off with the normal button. You have to dremmel out a little bit of the plastic around the inside of that hole, though. Here's a pic of the mounting place, and I'll add the other pics later today. I was actually just down in Richmond on tuesday :confused: on a short day trip with my wife...

#6 ·
Clean looking install, very nice. I like the CF dash. Is that an overlay, or total replacement?

Based on the picture URL, I guess you are a former Evo owner? Nice, don't see to amny down here. I just sold my '05 SRT-4 to make room for the Saab. Needed somthing a little more "grown up"... or so my wife said :lol: .

#7 ·
The dash is an overlay kit. The car came with wood overlay, but I heatgunned it off. I had a lot of Carbon on my Evo, and (call me ricey) I really like the look. There are a few guys in our DCEvo club from Richmond. I had a pretty modded '03 evo that I bought right when they came out, and just sold because of my wife too ;oops: Although it's nowhere near as fast, I'm really liking the saab, and I really love having a convertible.

As promised, here are pics of where I tapped the line for the gauge, and where I poked through the firewall (passenger side, right in the top left corner is the large rubber grommet):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.