SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab 93 2.5 GT

3K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  John Z Williams 
#1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DoZcVIZZ0

All i gotta say is wow, i have this car and this car is a really fast car. what are mods did they do to that car to make it so fast? alot of money? i wanna know. cause i want my car to be that fast. and where cna i get that spoiler. ive seen that around before. THIS THING IS A BEAST!

#6 ·
Viggen_93 said:

All i gotta say is wow, i have this car and this car is a really fast car. what are mods did they do to that car to make it so fast? alot of money? i wanna know. cause i want my car to be that fast. and where cna i get that spoiler. ive seen that around before. THIS THING IS A BEAST!
Yea that cars looks like a blast to drive. They did weight reduction, tubular exhaust manifold, gt35 special turbo, external waste-gate, a LSD and a quife 6 speed transmission to boot:cool: Around 550bhp...

John

#10 ·
saabkid37 said:
if you search aroun dthats the 10 second saab built by nordic. its apurpose built race car. driver (robert) posts sometimes on saabnet under sasse. its 2.5 liters obviously with a huge turbo and there own tuning.
It's not Robert, it's Magnus who also works at Nordic.

#11 ·
Viggen_93 said:

Well it's no small mods they made to the car. It's pretty much a full on race car. Everything is lightened, cf-hood, stripped interior (there are vids where they are lightening the body itself by "sanding" off stuff, plastic windows, aluminum doors and so on..Not to mention everything that is done with the engine. I couldn't find the specs in english, only in swedish.
So there's "a bit" of work before making your Saab this fast :D

The spoiler is in fact a Ford Cosworth one and the gearbox is not a F40 as far as I know, but some "dogbox" (?) with straight cut something (don't know the word in english). Anyway not much to do with a stock gearbox.

Some more pics and specs in swedish: http://www.garaget.org/?car=135

#12 ·
pade900 said:
the gearbox is not a F40 as far as I know, but some "dogbox" (?) with straight cut something (don't know the word in english). Anyway not much to do with a stock gearbox.
Dogbox is a good transalation; it will be a full on race transmission with straight cut teeth, probably sequential, noisy as hell in operation and a low working life; the upside being they can be rebuilt in the pits if the ratios are incorrect for the circuit in question. Like much other aspects of the car it is almost touring car grade equipment and this makes the car virtually useless in more domestic settings.

#14 ·
#17 ·
G96nt said:
the 2.5GT is a production car?
I always assumed it was thier own over-bored 2.3L motor...

interesting....

I found some swedish site with a million video/pictures

i *think* this link will work
http://www.zatzy.com/showthread.php?t=203189&page=1&pp=20
I think it is a bored out 2.3 motor, if you use the .93mm pistons, that makes it a 2.5L, just as Daveship did and others. I am pretty sure the rest of the motor is stock, that is stock heads and cams and crank and rods. The power is from the special gt35r and tubular exhaust and external waste-gate and of course the sw from Nordic to run the larger fuel injectors and so on. That would be pretty much a full on race car as Kevin Yankton did. Very noisy on the road and vibration and all the other things that make a good race car and a horrible daily driver;)

John

#19 ·
John Z Williams said:
I think it is a bored out 2.3 motor, if you use the .93mm pistons, that makes it a 2.5L, just as Daveship did and others. I am pretty sure the rest of the motor is stock, that is stock heads and cams and crank and rods. The power is from the special gt35r and tubular exhaust and external waste-gate and of course the sw from Nordic to run the larger fuel injectors and so on. That would be pretty much a full on race car as Kevin Yankton did. Very noisy on the road and vibration and all the other things that make a good race car and a horrible daily driver;)

John
you cannot bore it out to 2.5 theres not enough cylinder wall. ship is also not running 2.5l he is running a minor overbore so he could get clean cylinders for the je's. to get 2.5 you have to go with what ed smith did on his viggen and do the boar and crank to get to 2.5

#20 ·
Eds car is actual 2.4xx rounded up its 2.5 Same crank just larger bore to un shroud the valves. ;)

#22 ·
saabkid37 said:
you cannot bore it out to 2.5 theres not enough cylinder wall. ship is also not running 2.5l he is running a minor overbore so he could get clean cylinders for the je's. to get 2.5 you have to go with what ed smith did on his viggen and do the boar and crank to get to 2.5
Nope, guess again.... The bored over 93mm pistons give the 2.5L when rounded up as Nick said......

John

#23 ·
John Z Williams said:

John
Seems to be a B256R engine.
Also it has special Sweedspeed cams, ported head, balanced crank/rods/pistons and a lightened flywheel.

#26 ·
pade900 said:
Seems to be a B256R engine.
Also it has special Sweedspeed cams, ported head, balanced crank/rods/pistons and a lightened flywheel.
You are right about the current status of the engine, but I think the original engine was a stock head, but I guess they made quite a few changes over a few years to get that car into the 10's in the quarter mile. Not sure which car the 256r motor comes from, maybe its a euro engine only or a 93-ss or something, not sure about that but I bet its pretty close to a full on race car:cool:

I think he went with a seaholm lsd too, they are known for being noisy with the ratchet effect clink, clink, clink, but they seem to hold the power to the two wheels better than the quiafe...

I was thinking of a gt35r, but might just go with nitrous and keep my low end power of my gt3071, but still get over 400whp with the aid of nitrous:p

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.