SaabCentral Forums banner

18x8 on a viggen.>?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  RBatsch 
#1 ·
Will 18x8 wheels fit and clear on a 1999 viggen? what tires would i need 235/40? Also does anyone have pics of 18x8 on a viggen??? thanks

#2 ·
I have 18x8 AT Italia Nidos on my '02 Viggen....well not for another couple of weeks and then the winter boots come off. I can shoot some pics for you then.

My car is not lowered and I'm using 225/40s and they just fit. Perhaps if the off set of the wheels would be a bit less...the Nidos are 35mm, you could get 235s to work.

I've had mine rub twice when I hit a major dip in the highway at high speed (rubbed on the front inner plastic wheel well which has a small projection at the top....no big deal). However, I would be more concerned that the tires would rub inside the back off the front wheel well at full lock. In this position I have only about 1/4" between the outer edge of the tire and the body.

I find the 18x8s really make the car look right, in particular the rear wheel wells which seem to big. I also like the way the car feels...the steering is gokart direct.
Robert

#3 ·
8x18" is no problem as long as the offset and tires are right. Offset between 35 and 45 should be ok. 35 is pretty low so if possible look for something around 40 if you don't want rubbing.
225/40-18 is the correct tiresize!

#5 ·
I have 225 40 18 tyres on 18 x 8 wheels with 40mm offset; clearance is OK to the fuel filler pipe in the rear arch, but the rear tyre does catch the inner edge of the bumper under extreme conditions and the fronts do rub at full lock on the inner arch liner. Though this is on a 1998 900, the body is broadly the same as the Viggen in these areas.

#7 ·
If you're after greater width by going to a 235, check the various tire manufactures because all of them have differing tread widths. TireRack is good for making comparisons.

Never checked my gas filler tube....hmmmm, no plastic on the tires....

Weather''s turning nice here....getting itchy...
Robert

#13 ·
Very nice looking car!

Interesting to see that the in setting up a right hand drive, the front and rear wipers haven't been moved.

As for modifications on my car:
• 18x8 Italia Nido with Goodyear F1s
• MP bar and plate intercooler
• MP piston diverter valve (to be installed)
• GS steering rack clamp and brace
• GS 22mm rear sway bar
• GS front strut brace
• GS 6 point brace (to be installed)
• GS sport trans mount (to be installed)
I'm currently waiting for MP's 3" downpipe to install the trans mount and the 6 point.

Stage 3 ECU might be in the future....

What are your plans?
Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.