Heat exchanger coupler. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Heat exchanger coupler.

Kolhoznik
26th March 2007, 07:11 PM
OK. I really need help with this one. As I mentioned in the other thread I was working on getting the air distribution drum to work right and in the process noted that the left coupler on the heat exchanger is leaking coolant. I need to know if there's an O ring under there or what? I just ordered a new coupler, but do I really ahve to drain the coolant? How do I prevent coolant from going all over my interior?

Kolhoznik
27th March 2007, 07:19 PM
Anyone? The part is here and I'll be attenpting the replacement tomorrow...

PMI
27th March 2007, 07:41 PM
I think you mean heat exchanger, that some here call the heater core which is inside the car (?) I copied the list of parts in that area for a '99 9-3, but someone who has done it on your model will have to give you specifics. On the NG900, if there is a leak, most often it is o-rings drying out and leaking... sort-of like the coolant pump adapter o-rings.

Some coolant will stay in the heater core even after draining the radiator, but the area has a small drain below the heater core, out into the engine bay through the firewall, and then a small bent rubber hose.

Article : Heat exchanger
PartNo : 7495625
Order Quantity : 1

Article : O-ring
PartNo : 4755377
Order Quantity : 2

Article : Snap-on coupling
PartNo : 4755369
Order Quantity : 2

Article : Tube
PartNo : 7495609
Usage : LHD, LH

Article : Tube
PartNo : 7495617
Usage : LHD, RH

Kolhoznik
27th March 2007, 09:21 PM
Are you sure that there's a drain? You just made my day PMI.

Kolhoznik
28th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Here's a picture by the way. The coupler on the left you can see is leaking a bit.

http://www.saabforums.com/upfiles/673/asppg_Ah549351549.jpg

radare
28th March 2007, 10:33 PM
Yes, you are correct, there is an o-ring in each side. Replace both while you're at it.

Kolhoznik
28th March 2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the input...hopefully it goes down friday and I can move forward in torturing the air drum...if only I could get a WIS for this car...the mitchell manual is crap.

Kolhoznik
31st March 2007, 07:49 PM
Ok...this wasn't difficult at all, just a bit messy. Now if only I could get the air distribution drum assembled back without breaking anything I'd finally be able to drive the car again...