SaabCentral Forums banner

Autronic Auto-Tune

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  snowboardin58 
#1 · (Edited)
Again, looking for tuning stuff for my Datsun, I came across something that may work well for a Saab. Tose who are interested in tuning, this may simplify things a bit. Just thought it was a pretty cool system

Autronic even sounds Saabish!! They have an auto-tune feature which allows maps to be created by the Autronic in about 20 minutes, on the go! check it out for yourself.. http://www.autronic.com/page_files/autotune_feature.htm

pretty cool

#3 ·
snowboardin58 said:
Again, looking for tuning stuff for my Datsun, I came across something that may work well for a Saab. Tose who are interested in tuning, this may simplify things a bit. Just thought it was a pretty cool system

Autronic even sounds Saabish!! They have an auto-tune feature which allows maps to be created by the Autronic in about 20 minutes, on the go! check it out for yourself.. http://www.autronic.com/page_files/autotune_feature.htm

pretty cool
d00d I got the dreaded 404! Check you linky plz.

#7 ·
liketheword said:
Wow sounds like quite the threat. :nono; Nothing like a fuzzy hug from one of your fellow enthusiasts. :roll:
There are several stand-alone and piggyback systems on the market -- Megasquirt, Autronic, GReddy, Apexi, Nira, etc. -- and they're extremely difficult to make work with T5, let alone T7.

No one is saying not to do it, but the initial post paints far too rosy a picture of the actual work and cost involved. Buy this and you won't be up and running in a week......

#8 ·
Making a adapter is more a less a piece of cake... all the info is in WIS what pin is what etc. Connectors can be bought or obtained from junk yard.

Things to see out

-trigger wheel (crank shaft pos sensor), does not work with all aftermarket systmes from the fly and may need a little tweeking. Other GM's utilize the 60-2 wheel also, so it may help to look up how others have done it.

-idle valve, same as above

-DI, if a no go with the choosen system waste spark can be utilized for resonable costs.

Autotune will get you started but wont save you from the hours you need to put down into tuning and testing. Of course if skill is limited the work is even harder if you dont know what the values should look like, nor will the sytem save you from the inevitable if you set parameters in away that you're trying to climb a tree butt first:cheesy:

Assuming smooth power and perfect functiobility in all conditions with a aftermarket system compared to the trionic is plain crazy to begin with. Of course if you pile in hour after hour into mapping and building the compensations the results will be good, but its not something autotune does for you.

#9 ·
mike saunders said:
There are several stand-alone and piggyback systems on the market -- Megasquirt, Autronic, GReddy, Apexi, Nira, etc. -- and they're extremely difficult to make work with T5, let alone T7.
all the saabs I know with aftermarket systems work as they should and it does not make a difference if the car is a T5, T7 or naibours corvette. They are all engines and will work just fine, if you map them correctly.Too often the systems gets the blame when the fault actually is in the person who tries to map the car with his thumb in the middle of the hand.

T7 needs a bit more work though, since the system is not a speed-density like the T5 and very few of the afteramert systems do support airmass based control. Therefore the easy solution is swap the throttle body from T5, add the idle valve, 3bar map and toss the MAF.

T5's instrumentation (Speedo, rpm aso) will work with out Trionic, but T7 does need additional tweeking, to get RPM and engine temp to work, since these singnals originally are from trionic.

#10 ·
I'm not saying it can't be done...(I was considering the GReddy eManage for a while because it's only about $800...:cool: as opposed to NIRA at about $2,000 here in the states....)

I'm only saying it's not as easy and straightforward as the original post implied....and your post definitely backs that up.

#11 ·
Oh no I'm not saying its "easy" my any means..initially. But it would be nice, once its all set up, because you can make hardware changes or adjustments, make some supporting uns for a half hour or less, and at least have it mapped to suit the new changes. And apparantly it is suprisingly accurate, which is cool. However, if I were to buy it it wouldnt be for my Saab but for an RB. I think I'm still goin SQR!(hopefully)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.