Talk me into/out of this madness [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Talk me into/out of this madness

CentralMaineSaab
20th March 2007, 08:24 PM
So I've found a 85 SPG for 400 dollars twenty minutes from my house. My question is would this be a good car to dive in and learn automotive basics on? I'm looking for something to have as a two or three year project. Is this a wise decision for a 17 year old saab enthusiast or should I look for something easier to learn wrenching on? Thanks guys!

philb
20th March 2007, 08:28 PM
If it runs, buy it. If not, talk down the price a bit :)

TheRedBaron
20th March 2007, 09:37 PM
Do it! Great car to learn on - easy to work on, and there's a ton of info on the internets.

mike saunders
20th March 2007, 09:52 PM
An SPG is a perfect project car...

For that price, it's definitely worth it if it runs. Do a compression check on it pronto, but buy it anyway....

CentralMaineSaab
20th March 2007, 10:13 PM
Excellent, I don't know if the car is running currently, but i do have a list of a bunch of little gremlins that the car needs kinked out. This is definatly what i wanted to hear as far as advice goes :D the other plus is my saab dealer (used dealer) has a whole bunch of old 900's around and since there's not really much demand for them i have a nearly unlimited supply of parts. Lastly, I'm not shy about diving right in and rebuilding the engine, I just have to accumulate more knowlege of the basics and the required tools. Thanks for the advice and hopefully there will be a project thread soon!

ShadowWorks
3rd April 2007, 04:27 AM
With time comes experience;)

With money comes lots of tools and spare parts:lol:

You will love it, I say go for it, sink your teeth in and bite hard:cool: