SaabCentral Forums banner

Perception (what gives ?)

999 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Naranto 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been seriously (rightly or wrongly :lol: ) considering trading my 9000 aero for a 95 aero (boo...hiss..:cry: ). However, having driven 2 9-5's (one standard and one with a BSR upgrade), I'm now not so sure. I test drove the BSR last night with the present owner in the passenger seat. I was fairly impressed and it was a very comfortable ride.

However, I then took the same gentleman in question out in my 9000 aero. He was completely gobsmacked and said he nearly sh..t himself.

If the 9-5 aero is 250 bhp (and his has the bsr upgrade) standard and the 9000 is 225 bhp, what gives ?? Will the 9000 run out of steam quicker, is there less lag cause its a smaller turbo ? etc, etc, etc. The 9000 certainly feels a lot more "raw ;) and appears to be far more responsive.

He actually turned to me and said I should stick with my 9000....which I think I shall be doing (and maybe get an upgrade instead).

My dad also has a 9-5 with a full hirsch upgrade, and he still says my 9000 feels quicker :eek:

I would be interested to hear from anyone else on the comparison :cheesy:

See less See more
#4 ·
Marrk said:
9000 aero boxes are high geared, much more so than a 2.3T. Top speed at max revs if you have the power is 186mph.....:eek: . I love the high gearing on the motorways but on the backroads I get fed up changing gear.
Thats what I thought Markk. So are we saying that 9-5 gearing is even higher than a 9000 :eek: , hence the better reponse of my 9000 over a 9-5 ?

I just don't understand how a stadard 9000 aero "seems" or "is" quicker that a BSR stage 1 9-5 aero ? or does it eventually run out of puff at higher revs/ speed ?

#6 ·
9k Aero 'feels' quicker as it is louder and rawer, not certain that it is any or much quicker on an accurate timed run though.

Having said that, a well tuned 9k Aero is tough for most any Saab to keep up with. My experiments on the autobahn w/ other Saab nuts has seen the 9k perform very well in comparison w/ 9-5's, it just is much less refined.

#7 ·
"Seat of your pants smileamonitor" is the best gauge ever designed, if the 95 is faster yet the 9000 feels faster then what one is best?, depends if you want to go faster, or enjoy more the speed your going, the first response is really only relavent if your racing.
As Kevin says the 9000 is less refined, & so is a good bottle of Cask strength whiskey:) thats why its good
Otherwise you may find the torque curve of the 9000 show,s a better initial surge, where as the 95 builds with RPM getting higher BHP but more at the top end, i.e. a narrower power band further up the scale compared to the 9000. Now this could be down to design or maybe you have an APC valve that kicks in quick, or your running a high base boost on the 9000, what ever it sounds like you need to drive the 95 with more rev,s / more gearbox use etc.. to release the potential
either way have fun

#8 ·
engine management plays a large part in out right performance, marrk will be able to testify to this as he has a 9000 2.3 carlsson and a 9000 aero, the 9000 carlsson has a good engine management with a fierce mapping so the 220 bhp gives an excellent kick, the trionic in the aero is still good but no so fierce so feels a little more mundane, the same is true for the 9-5s trionic 7 very good for the green party but not so good if you want out right power, but i would guess that if the 9000 aero and the 9-5 aero was put on a race track there would be little in the performance of the two cars just the feel

#9 ·
I must also add here that I recently had a new apc valve fitted, and :eek: :eek: :cheesy: .

Car felt mental after that, and still does. It must have been "iffy" for a while.

I certainly feel more "connected" with the 9000, although ride is harsher (standard aero with poly bushes all round, apart from gearbox). I also think the poly torque arm bush gives more instant oomph (?)

#10 ·
Marrk said:
9000 aero boxes are high geared, much more so than a 2.3T. Top speed at max revs if you have the power is 186mph.....:eek: . I love the high gearing on the motorways but on the backroads I get fed up changing gear.
i've got quite a few upgrades, and i'm a 91 running a 93 aero gearbox. I still only top out at 150ish. I'm about to get my car dyno'd and when i do i'll tell you my current horsepower and torque specs..

-=tristan=-

#11 ·
Marrk said:
Sure you,ve already tried this Marrk, but the 4.05 CS box makes a major diffrence to the Aero on back roads / A roads - 3rd to 5th is really well matched to the power delivery as you change up in the mid to high rpm, I love it, but at a cost of maybe 2mpg on average, there,s still plenty top end left:)

#12 ·
Er, there's a little matter of 300 lbs + of extra weight in the somewhat smaller but much heavier 9 5. 3,470 for the 9 5 v 3,100 for the manual shift 9000 Aero

That's 10% heavier than a 9000 Aero.

The 9000 Aero has quite tall gearing but I don't think a 9 5 will keep up with a 9000 Aero once you get both rolling. The 9 5 suspension is a bit more sophisticated and the whoe car is more refined.

For my money the manual shift 9000 Aero is just about unbeatable. Best car SAAB ever made.

#13 ·
Superaero said:
Er, there's a little matter of 300 lbs + of extra weight in the somewhat smaller but much heavier 9 5. 3,470 for the 9 5 v 3,100 for the manual shift 9000 Aero

That's 10% heavier than a 9000 Aero.

The 9000 Aero has quite tall gearing but I don't think a 9 5 will keep up with a 9000 Aero once you get both rolling. The 9 5 suspension is a bit more sophisticated and the whoe car is more refined.

For my money the manual shift 9000 Aero is just about unbeatable. Best car SAAB ever made.
Good point, weight really matters.

Have to say this in a soft voice (lots of fans about), but the only 900 of any type I have encountered that can keep up w/ a basic Maptun stage 3 9k Aero is a fully Abbotted GM900 which was just that bit quicker, but not by much, and he had the dyno slips to show >300 hp. Not convinced of any handling advantages either for a 900 vs a fully sorted 9k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.