SaabCentral Forums banner

No Hot Air Coming Through

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Janiap 
#1 ·
Can anyone help with this? I own a 9000 CS AERO Auto '96.
I dont have any hot air coming through into the cabin. My AC works so I can get cold air - but when I turn my climate control to 'Hi' just cold air blows through?!?!
Has anyone any ideas. I am right now flushing out my cooling system to see if it makes any difference - plus it really needs it!!
I hope someone can help
Thx

#2 · (Edited)
OK I did read the stickies - but they dont seem to cover it!

Hey All

After my post I did take a look at the stickies but I dont think they cover my problem. Can anyone else help me?;oops:

So to recap - i am not getting hot air through when the car is in Park and the engine is hot.

On 26C 27C & on HI its bearly warm at all. The cold does get colder though!!

When I drive along I can feel warm air come through though - but its not fan assisted..

I have changed and cleaned out my cooling system - so there is no chance of a circulation problem, checked all fuses and connections

I have also checked the internal cabin sensor - cleaned and working

I have reset the AAC and that shows '0' on the display

The fan is working on all speeds but the temparature is not going up as i set the AAC higher in temperature?!?!

Please can anyone else assist me:roll: . Its damn cold in the mornings.

Many thanks
Jon

#3 ·
Heat flap/arm

Oh I had a heat issue like this...the problem on my car was that the arm that controls the flap (that lets in/restricts hot air) physically broke. You can see it here circled in red. If that happens to be the case, when it is closed , hot air will come in, when open just cold air....I've just closed mine for the winter and only use the fans to reduce/increase the amount of hot air. come spring i'll open it. http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/ventilation/blower/blower.php

#4 ·
Thanks Dak83

Hey Dak83
Thanks for responding and for the picture - i have already checked this out and my rotor arm is not broken. It even moves as it should ie goes all the way in when I turn the temp up and comes all the way out when I turn the AAC to cold.
I tried to wiggle it to see if its broken and it deosnt move at all. The only thing I can think of is that could something inside be broken?? Something I cannot see??!!:roll:
I dont have a manual to see how heat is actually generated in this area - do you know where it draws the hot air from??
Thanks again
Jon

#6 ·
OK mate - no worries.

I did check it and the arm moves both up and down to open and close the flap - as I adjust the temperature on the AAC - however I cannot actually see the flap from the outside. So hand on heart dont know whther the flap is broken inside - however I think thats highly unlikely.
When yours broke I imagine you could just move it yourself by hand quite easily - Is that right? mine is rock solid - and only moves when I adjust the temp control.
If I only knew how the heat was generated - maybe its something to do with that?!?!?!:roll: :eek: :roll:
Cheers
J

#8 · (Edited)
Yeeeaaaahhhhhh Baby - fixed it!!!

:p Hey Guys

MY HEATER MATRIX WAS BLOCKED!!

Even though I flushed out the cooling sytem for over an hour with a good flush the one thing I did not do is to take off the hoses to the heater matrix and blast water through them. I attached the hose to in the inlet hose leading to the heater matrix and blasted it through with cold water then attached the hose to the outlet hose and back flushed it!!! (These hoses are the ones in the pic above with Saab written on them)

So there you have it.

If you own an 9000 Aero and you are not getting hot air through and you have checked the following below try the solution above.

Ensure your heater fan works using the AAC - both on Auto settings and on manual - (this check to see if you have a faulty AAC unit)

Checked the rotor arm is not broken that opens the flap on the side of the air mixer box (Its under the the plastic cover below the windscreen wipers and inbetween the AC box and the Heater fan) see pic above.

Internal Sniffer fan sensor is working (its hidden behind a plastic vent under the driver seat heater switch)

Checked all fuses

Flushed out the cooling system - for at least 30 mins

Checked the Thermostat is not bust OR jammed open. Do this by seeing if the Dashboard Temp display arm for water temp is between 8 - 9 0'Clock (normal temp) OR by turning on the car from cold and feeling the bottom radiator hose. if it gets hot in 30 seconds there might be a problem with the thermostat. It should take at least 3-5 mins to get warm.

Cheers Guys!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.