SaabCentral Forums banner

the problem just keep rolling in

811 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  djtaylor 
#1 ·
The newest problem is now I'm losing oil and i have no idea wear. today i hear a deep slow thudding noise and some one in the parking lot said it was low oil pressure. so i took it home and put it on ramps and as soon as i looked under i saw lots of oil around the inner wheel well. took of the plastic shroud i couldn't see wear the oil was comign from so I'm going to go get some degrease spray so i can see any new oil leaks and put some STP oil leak stopper so see if that help. If and one could give me any idea wear to stat looking and wear the oil pump is? thanks

#2 ·
yogi_9000cse said:
The newest problem is now I'm losing oil and i have no idea wear. today i hear a deep slow thudding noise and some one in the parking lot said it was low oil pressure. so i took it home and put it on ramps and as soon as i looked under i saw lots of oil around the inner wheel well. took of the plastic shroud i couldn't see wear the oil was comign from so I'm going to go get some degrease spray so i can see any new oil leaks and put some STP oil leak stopper so see if that help. If and one could give me any idea wear to stat looking and wear the oil pump is? thanks
Where is the oil leak? Which side? You mention that you're taking the inner wheel liner off, which side though?

If you've leaked so much that the pump can't suck oil up to build pressure then you could have inflicted much damage. It's all pretty hypothetical though until you find out where the leak is. The pump is on the front of the engine, just to the right of the crank pulley.

David.

#3 · (Edited)
well i found the leak its the gasket around the crank shaft ;oops:;oops:;oops:;oops: i took the wheel well off let it cool cleand it up put some oil in and had a friens start it up while i stod away of corse and about 10 sec latter i saw a it poor out from the Crankshaft Seal real bad about 2 drops a second. needless to say its not driving for a few day. It looks like i just have to get some money somehow and gte it fixed asap. so for the few of you that been reading my saab story(sory for the pun) im going to get the Crankshaft Seal for about 12 bucks and most likely a timeing chaing kit from http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/ does 250 buck sound about right for the kit
2 camshaet gears 1 crankshaft gear 1 tensioner 1 seal for tensioner 1 sliding rail 1 lower rail upper rubber rail and camshaft chain

or does andone know fo a good place to shop from and any other part i might want to have put in

#5 ·
Yogi, since you're going to attack the timing cover, you'll be able to easily do the crank seal anyway. Price you quoted for parts sounds about right when converted to proper money ;)

May I also suggest you inspect the serpentine idler belt pulleys and the belt itself while you're there. You will also want all the O rings, especially the ones for the water pump and the connecting tube ones that go into the block from the pump. There's a huge likelihood that the present ones have gone rock hard and when you disturb it all to do the timing cover, they won't seal when you put it back together and you'll just leak coolant everywhere.

I'd also suggest changing the O ring on the oil level sensor as that's a favourite leaking spot and since the sump will be empty anyway, it's only tiny effort to remove the 3 screws and change the seal.

David.

#7 ·
Not that I know of. I bought the O rings, there's only about half a dozen, crank seal, turbo manifold gasket, serp belt, two idlers, head gasket kit, timing gear kit and the sealant for the timing cover is specified as Loctite 418. There is NO gasket on the timing cover.

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.