random question... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: random question...

Cojoroh
25th February 2007, 07:01 PM
i have a braun electric foil shaver. what would happen if i attached a magnet to the side (case)?

900t
25th February 2007, 07:30 PM
You would start a nuclear fusion reaction.

Penguin45
25th February 2007, 08:27 PM
You would warp the time space continuum and risk losing your chin into an alien dimension.

Penguin45.

TakeItEasy
25th February 2007, 08:30 PM
This would cause the electrons to flow more efficiently by reducing clumping, thereby lowering the amount of electricity required to run your shaver, which would also lower your monthly electric bill. Larger or more magnets give you even greater savings.

It works on the same principle as attaching magnets to your fuel line, giving you better gas mileage.

ragtopcav
25th February 2007, 08:46 PM
You would reverse the magnetic poles of our earth; pigeons everywhere would get lost and Australians would feel on top of the world.

VikingSpirit
25th February 2007, 08:47 PM
you would have a magnetic braun electric foil shaver!

You could stick it to your fridge so you could shave and snack at the same time!:cheesy:

Cojoroh
25th February 2007, 08:55 PM
You would reverse the magnetic poles of our earth; pigeons everywhere would get lost and Australians would feel on top of the world.

....ha ha!

SMHarman
25th February 2007, 09:53 PM
You could prove to your significant other that your facial hair only feels like steel, as it has no magnetic attraction, it obviously is not steel.

sab aero
25th February 2007, 10:00 PM
...and Australians would feel on top of the world.

You mean to say we aren't on top of the world? I thought everyone/everywhere else was upside down? :D

And now for a random answer to the random question: "fish" LOL!

sab

TheRedBaron
25th February 2007, 10:05 PM
Just wait till around 2012 and that will actually happen. Not only is that the around the time when the magnetic poles on the earth shift, but in december 2012 the earth, moon and sun will all line up with the center of the galaxy, something that only happens once every couple millenia or so (I don't remember the exact timespan). This event was predicted very exactly by the mayans many years ago, and is referred to by most as the "mayan cosmogenesis." According to the mayans, this is when the next great shift in universal consciousness will happen.

Personally, I think it's a pretty cool cosmic happening, and who knows what kind of weird physical stuff will happen then, but some people take it to the extreme, like my college buddy Rick who refuses to make any major life decisions until 2012, when according to him consciousness as we know it (not the colloquial consciousness of an individual person, but the totality of all thought - immediate physical reality and its corresponding ideas/concepts, or the universal spirit/consciousness if you will) will cease to exist giving birth to a new era of life, making his efforts of the previous years meaningless (I have some very interesting friends). :o His theory as he argues it, which I wont get into here, is full of holes, but it is interesting to think about nonetheless.

boon94
26th February 2007, 09:37 AM
has your medication been switched with some crazy pills?

tonyairflow
26th February 2007, 09:49 AM
fixing a magnet will indeed reverse the poles and also put the process in to reverse and instead of shaving will implant a beard.

help there are men at my door with white coats on

i think i need a lie down

Andyaero
26th February 2007, 10:27 AM
Personally, I think it's a pretty cool cosmic happening, and who knows what kind of weird physical stuff will happen then, but some people take it to the extreme, like my college buddy Rick who refuses to make any major life decisions until 2012, when according to him consciousness as we know it (not the colloquial consciousness of an individual person, but the totality of all thought - immediate physical reality and its corresponding ideas/concepts, or the universal spirit/consciousness if you will) will cease to exist giving birth to a new era of life, making his efforts of the previous years meaningless (I have some very interesting friends). :o His theory as he argues it, which I wont get into here, is full of holes, but it is interesting to think about nonetheless.

We're all doomed, I say doomed!

http://www.davecovcomedy.co.uk/whispersfromwalmington/website_images/frazerhead.jpg

Cojoroh
26th February 2007, 01:34 PM
ha ha...i had no idea this thread would go so far. :cheesy: actually, my apartment bathroom counter is tiny, and my shaver didn't come with a stand. so it's always on the edge of the sink where it sometimes falls into it, causing dents in the foil (you can pretty much say goodbye to a foil with a decent dent in it). so i was thinking about attaching these tiny magnets (brush head motor from sonicare toothbrush) that i saw my dad playing around with the last time i visited them. this way i could use flat thumbtacks on the wall to attach it to.

CL65Pilot
26th February 2007, 01:47 PM
ha ha...i had no idea this thread would go so far. :cheesy: actually, my apartment bathroom counter is tiny, and my shaver didn't come with a stand. so it's always on the edge of the sink where it sometimes falls into it, causing dents in the foil (you can pretty much say goodbye to a foil with a decent dent in it). so i was thinking about attaching these tiny magnets (brush head motor from sonicare toothbrush) that i saw my dad playing around with the last time i visited them. this way i could use flat thumbtacks on the wall to attach it to.

Hmmm... aside from it ripping holes in space and reversing the earth's polarity, you just might stand a chance of getting electrocuted by it falling into the sink.

That just may account for re-reversing the earth's polarity, then geese could migrate south again, and Australians (sorry), would be back on the bottom of the earth. :cheesy:

DavidMorgan
26th February 2007, 04:20 PM
I hope this doesn't mean we will have to drink beer from the other side of the glass...............:roll:

CL65Pilot
26th February 2007, 04:27 PM
I hope this doesn't mean we will have to drink beer from the other side of the glass...............:roll:

That would be tragic....

TheRedBaron
26th February 2007, 04:42 PM
has your medication been switched with some crazy pills?
Actually those are facts - read up on it. The earth's polarity changes back and forth over time - sometime in the relatively near future the earth will demagnetize for about three days and then remagnetize with the poles being switched from what they previously where. Also, what the mayans predicted is an actual astronomical event, marked cheifly by the earth's rotational axis (which "wobbles" back and forth) completing a cycle, various astronomical bodies lining up, and the solstice. The only 'crazy' part is the significance people choose to place on it.

CleveSaab
26th February 2007, 06:44 PM
Yep, and all the Chinese are going to jump up and down at the exact same moment and knock the Earth off its axis. ;)

CL65Pilot
26th February 2007, 10:58 PM
Actually those are facts - read up on it. The earth's polarity changes back and forth over time - sometime in the relatively near future the earth will demagnetize for about three days and then remagnetize with the poles being switched from what they previously where. Also, what the mayans predicted is an actual astronomical event, marked cheifly by the earth's rotational axis (which "wobbles" back and forth) completing a cycle, various astronomical bodies lining up, and the solstice. The only 'crazy' part is the significance people choose to place on it.

Polar magnetic reversals are a very common occurance, we are actually overdue for one. They happen on average, every 400,000 years. It has been about 780,000 years since our last.

During a reversal, the main field weakens, almost vanishes, then reappears with opposite polarity. Afterward, compass needles that normally point north would point south, and unlike what was said earlier, the transition would last thousands of years, much in the heavens and Earth would go askew.

A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid. But experts said the repercussions would fall short of catastrophic, despite a few proclamations of doom and sketchy evidence of past links between field reversals and species extinctions.Although a total flip may be hundreds or thousands of years away, the rapid decline in magnetic strength is already damaging satellites

This event is rare for the last reversal happened 780,000 years ago. The process of a reversal spans a couple thousand years so there is no reason to panic, just yet. But the reversal will be considered a catastrophic event because we are so dependent of the earth’s magnetic field. The humans may find a way to deal with the problem but for the certain animal life forms that rely on the field it will be devastating.

In theory, a reversal could have major effects because over the ages many aspects of nature and society have come to rely on the field’s steadiness.

When baby loggerhead turtles embark on an 8,000-mile trek around the Atlantic, they use invisible magnetic clues to check their bearings. So do salmon and whales, honeybees and homing pigeons, frogs and Zambian mole rats.

On a planetary scale, the magnetic field helps shield the Earth from solar winds and storms of deadly particles. Its so-called magnetosphere extends out 37,000 miles from Earth’s sunlit side and much farther behind the planet, forming a cometlike tail.

Among other things, the field’s collapse, scientists say, could let in bursts of radiation, causing a variety of disruptions.

Certainly not catastrophic, however, the environmental impact could be significant and the human population will have to make due via different means like alternatives in magnetic navigation, etc...

Cuba
27th February 2007, 12:14 AM
evidence of polarity changes are in the alignment of cooled basaltic rock formed by sea floor spreading. Changes in polarity are represented as "stripes".
This site is quite good if anyone is interested.
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/interior/seafloor_spreading_interactive.html

TurboBlix
27th February 2007, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=TheRedBaron]Just wait till around 2012 and that will actually happen. Not only is that the around the time when the magnetic poles on the earth shift, but in december 2012 the earth, moon and sun will all line up with the center of the galaxy, something that only happens once every couple millenia or so (I don't remember the exact timespan). This event was predicted very exactly by the mayans many years ago, and is referred to by most as the "mayan cosmogenesis." According to the mayans, this is when the next great shift in universal consciousness will happen.QUOTE]

how is this possible? we don't even know the extent of the galaxy so how can we know its center? are you talking explicitly about the milky way?

edit nvm presumably you are which would invalidate this question.

eckyboy
27th February 2007, 06:23 PM
i have a braun electric foil shaver. what would happen if i attached a magnet to the side (case)?
Catch on the wifes suspender belt:nono;