SaabCentral Forums banner

Huge Problems Please Help

834 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 ·
Hi my 92 2.3t has a lot of problems.
  1. Burns oil real bad, maybe due to the fact that im running an open turbo because the gasket from the downpipe to the cat is pretty much gone so when the downpipe is connected it smokes crazy at stops. I was thinking about getting it welded together because i cant find those gaskets anywhere, and i dont want to spend 300 bucks for a new downpipe and cat.
  2. Also get horrible gas mileage now, normally when i would fill it up i couls drive 2 weeks but now it drops like a quarter every 2-3 days, maybe the open turbo has something to do with that, i dunno
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

#2 ·
boostinsaab said:
Hi my 92 2.3t has a lot of problems.
  1. Burns oil real bad, maybe due to the fact that im running an open turbo because the gasket from the downpipe to the cat is pretty much gone so when the downpipe is connected it smokes crazy at stops. I was thinking about getting it welded together because i cant find those gaskets anywhere, and i dont want to spend 300 bucks for a new downpipe and cat.
  2. Also get horrible gas mileage now, normally when i would fill it up i couls drive 2 weeks but now it drops like a quarter every 2-3 days, maybe the open turbo has something to do with that, i dunno
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
I don't see why it would burn oil if the downpipe to cat gasket is gone. There should not be oil in the exhaust at any point, unless the turbo seals are bad. The downpipe to cat joint isn't anywhere near any oil supply at all. All that would create is a bad exhaust leak.

As for the fuel economy, it can be due to several factors. There's the oxygen sensor, the air mass meter, spark plugs, various fuel components, etc. With your oil burning though, I would expect either a turbo problem or a major engine problem. Neither of those would be good for fuel economy. You must not drive very many miles, or it's all highway, though? 1/4 tank in 2-3 days sounds really good to me! That would be 25-30 MPG depending if I picked two or three days. My car is only rated at 25 MPG on the highway, so anything over that is a bonus! I drive 40-50 miles a day, which seems pretty normal for around these parts.

#3 ·
If you have a leak on the downpipe, then the oxygen sensor(s) are most definately reading lean and the car will richen the mixture to attempt to compensate. This will hose your fuel economy and perhaps even cause a bunch of smoke from the piping hot exhaust.

If nothing else, at least jb weld the fracture area and see if your symptoms imrprove. If they do, replace the downpipe.

#7 ·
Bent valves + continuing to run = damaged valve guide + Seal = oil in combustion chamber = oil loss = mucked up CAT & Lambda sensor = poor fuel economy

Engine at 3/4 capacity due to bent valves = crap fuel economy
Burst pipe = mucked up turbo base boost = confused ECU = crap everything

#9 ·
Norman Lovie said:
Bent valves + continuing to run = damaged valve guide + Seal = oil in combustion chamber = oil loss = mucked up CAT & Lambda sensor = poor fuel economy

Engine at 3/4 capacity due to bent valves = crap fuel economy
Burst pipe = mucked up turbo base boost = confused ECU = crap everything
That pretty much covers it.
With an underlying problem that serious, no further diagnosis is possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.