9000 2.0lpt fuel consumption....? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 9000 2.0lpt fuel consumption....?

Billyboy
23rd April 2003, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum, and having had a quick read, I wondered if someone could tell me what sort of fuel consumption I should be expecting from a 93L 9000 2.0 lpt?

I ask because I erally struggle to get 30mpg (by the dash display - not calculated it properly), and it seems as though this might not be right reading some other posts.

The car has 140K on it, and I'm sure that it needs sorting, as it doesn't inspire confidence, or urge me to drive it quickly. Perhaps it's just a lemon - all you guys seem to love yours. The MOT is due tomorrow, and I was thinking of getting it through and getting rid (owned it for 3 months or so), but now I begin to wonder if I should start replacing bushes etc and seeing how it goes.... anyone got any opinions?

Cheers,
Joe.

BillJ
23rd April 2003, 12:27 PM
Welcome to SaabCentral, Joe. I'm assuming you're in Oxford, UK, and not somewhere in the US, so are talking imperial gallons rather than the smaller US gallons.

It very much depends on the driving, of course, and whether it is auto or manual. On my '95 2.0LPT manual, I have managed to get 35mpg by driving very carefully on a straight motorway run at 70mph. Usually I'm more likely to get about 32 on the motorway. Around town, 30 is a bit of a stretch and about 27 or 28 is average for me.

On my '96 2.0LPT auto, I've managed to get 35 on the motorway under the same circumstances, but again about 32 is more usual. My dad (who is the main driver of the car) tends to drive it on short journeys and around town a lot, where he gets something like 22-24 mpg.

Billyboy
23rd April 2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Bill.

Yes, I'm in the UK (have corrected the profile now!). Well those figures sound pretty similar to mine - the car is manual, and 27-28 is more common. I think I have managed to get it up to about 30.3mpg through plenty of trips down the M4 to see my girlfriend in Bristol. Cost of petrol is killing me!

Anyway, it's good to know things are about normal in that respect. Now, does anyone have any idea why I may be losing power every now and again. It's pretty rare, but sometimes when I put my foot down, even a little bit, there is a hesitation there. Most times it seems perfectly fine. Additionally, it has stalled for no apparent reason on a few occasions when pulling up to traffic lights or junctions.

Cheers,
Joe.

BillJ
23rd April 2003, 04:52 PM
The stalling sounds like you may have a faulty turbo bypass valve. Hesitation when you put your foot down may also be down to this or it could be a faulty DI cassette or a clogged fuel filter (Should have been changed around 100K miles)

sideways
23rd April 2003, 04:55 PM
Hi joe,

I'm glad i'm not the only one with a guzzling 2.0 lpt, I'm try to blame it on a superchip suspicion!

On a 'sunday' (or when my dad drives it) it can return up to 38mpg, but on all other days i get between 18 & 30mpg, it all depends on how 'late' I am! :D

As for the cutting out/hesitation, mines done that a few times but only when gunning it! It may be the apc/knock sensor, post a new topic up about it, you'll get a better (and more expert) response.

GT

BillJ
23rd April 2003, 04:59 PM
you'll get a better (and more expert) response.
Gee, thanks, sideways :roll: :wink:

BillJ
23rd April 2003, 05:01 PM
However, I would agree that Joe might get a better response in the 9000 workshop rather than the 9000 performance forum.

Mark P
23rd April 2003, 05:54 PM
:cheesy: :cheesy: ROFLMAO!

Yeah, Bill... leave it to the 'experts'! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Jo K
23rd April 2003, 06:02 PM
Can't see that fuel economy improving significantly. However, the car sounds like it could do with a service, which would certainly make the car more enjoyable. When was it last done?

sideways
23rd April 2003, 06:22 PM
BillJ!

Sorry mate, i didnt mean anything, you put that up while i was replying!!!

oh my! :roll:

BillJ
23rd April 2003, 06:32 PM
Sorry mate, i didnt mean anything
No offence taken, mate :lol:

Billyboy
24th April 2003, 04:03 AM
Hmmm... I'm gonna have to check the reciepts to see what has been done. It's due an MOT though, so I'll wait for the results of that before I do anything.

Not sure I can afford a proper service at the moment though.... particularly not a Saab one... d'oh.

Thanks for the info guys.

Joe.