Project 85 SPG [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Project 85 SPG

Tyler
20th February 2007, 09:27 PM
Ok, here goes. I got this SPG in the fall of 2003 for $2500. It was basically untouched except the lovely, if not a touch gaudy gold mesh wheels. Tan interior, stock suspension, SAAB sport exhaust, black paint. Over the next couple years I've invested WAY too much time and money into it, and now it's about half way done (riiiight...).

Car: 1985 SAAB SPG Black/Tan.

Goal: To have the most fun with a street legal car possible. This includes, but is not limited to stereo and sound quality, power, handling, interior, aesthetics, reliabilty, efficiency, and overall balance.

Power:
Current Mods-

JSP Front Mount Intercooler Kit w/ 2.5" stainless piping and silicone connectors.
Greddy-style blow off valve
2.1 liter head and intake manifold
2.5" cat-back exhaust w/ Magnaflow turbo muffler
Garrett t3-60 turbo
K+N filter mounted on AMM
Mildly tweaked APC (15 psi limit based on slipping clutch and the fact that I just put a rebuilt tranny in last month)
Initial timing of about 20 deg., retarding to about 14 deg. at 15 psi.
FMS 30# injectors
JSP Stage I ECU
Future Mods-

JSP Stage II ECU (sitting on my desk, awaiting it's matching...)
Trionic red top injectors
PCV catch can
Larger diameter 9000 turbo clutch (needed BADLY)
3" downpipe (custom, using ATP's ultimate wastegate (http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release103105.htm))
Some sort of ignition system
Handling:
Current:

Bilstein HD's
Intrax springs trimmed to desired height (approximately too low)
16x7" Rota Slipstream wheels (~13 lbs.)
Some garbage tires I'll never try again
Worn out bushings basically everwhere
Stainless Goodridge brake lines
Cross-drilled rotors (did it myself)
Future:

Brad's Adjustable ride height springs
Dunlop Direzza's (replaced the lovely fm901's)
New rubber bushings were applicable
Brake upgrade
Interior:
Current-

Swapped to a grey leather interior out of a late 80's 900 turbo
Grant GT steering wheel
Pioneer CD player with iPod connection and Polk 6x9's in the rear with an 8" JL Audio sub and some amp I got for free powering all of it.
Future-

Corbeau or 9K Aero seats (If I am motivated enough for the fabriction required for the latter)
Momo Competition steering wheel
Exterior:
Current-

Tinted windows
Rims mentioned above
E-code headlights
Black grill
Okay, sorry that was so long-winded, but I just finished a paper so I'm in typing mode. I'll take a stab at the picture part now.

Tyler
20th February 2007, 10:17 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/TylerFrasca/enginedriverside-1.jpghttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/TylerFrasca/iccoldpipepolished.jpghttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/TylerFrasca/P1010017.jpgThis is what the engine looked like today. It's a bit dirty in spots because I didn't get time to clean it, but soon It'll have a new valve cover in the same color as the manifold, and that crimped rad hose will be fixed. I also have plans to do something about the air filter just sitting there and the loose FPR. Thanks for checking it out.

Boosted
20th February 2007, 10:37 PM
That engine is still really clean. Have you had any problems with the slivering in your e-codes flaking off? How thick is your intercooler? I wish my car was that straight and clean.

Palmer1980
20th February 2007, 10:53 PM
Very nice!

I like the all black look!

Tyler
21st February 2007, 11:15 AM
Boosted, I got the E-codes a couple years ago and they were kind of beat up, but it looked like the reflectors were still in decent shape. A bit dull maybe, but nothing flaking off.

Oh and the intercooler is 3" thick. For the record that's WAY too thick for a pre-facelift car w/ e-codes...Notice how the radiator is tilted back and I have smaller fans to clear the turbo. I will say that Jak did a great job on that kit though.

mikewitdaspike
21st February 2007, 11:29 AM
:o i've found a new car to lust after :cheesy:

SteveMcqueen
21st February 2007, 02:13 PM
I know as a wheel hooker, I should be hating those Rotas. But they look so gosh darn pretty! How have the held up in terms of bumps and stuff?

philjohnhb
22nd February 2007, 03:51 AM
Now that is LOW!

Tyler
22nd February 2007, 11:30 AM
Well even with the relatively crappy roads around here, they seem to have held up for the last couple years very well. The finish on them is not as durable as I'd like, but it's not too bad. And yeah, it's LOW. Too low, especially with the way the exhaust shop hung my magnaflow muffler so low...

eddiethegreat
22nd February 2007, 12:21 PM
I love the black beauty of this aero... and clear corner lights.

The pre-facelift aero still remains in my dreams.;oops:

Has it leather interiors? Of course I suppose

Tyler
22nd February 2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, it came with tan leather that was actually very nice, but I hated the tan and swapped it to a grey leather that was in bit worse shape... But yeah leather either way.

-T

Tyler
7th March 2007, 07:17 PM
Not much has been going on with the SPG, but I DID wash it today and take it for a trip up the mountain and back. I have to say, the IC has completely changed this car. I got to the top of this road (Highway 9), which sometimes requires sustained boost for long periods...Anyway, the outlet pipe from the IC is literally COLD. It was probably 55-60 degrees out today, and my intake charge must have been below that! Thanks to Jak again on that one.

In other news, my radiator fans are not coming on as early as they should and sometimes not at all, so I guess I need a new thermoswitch. Oh and the other day I got another fix-it ticket for my front windows, so I have put the clear ones back in (in the second pic). Tell me how ugly they look, please, so I'll be motivated to get them tinted very lightly as to not turn the heads of cops, but not to clash with my dark back windows either.

Bottom line, I love this car. It's crazy quick for what it has done to it, and for being as old as me.

Tyler
14th March 2007, 03:40 PM
I realize there has been little to no progress with this damn car because money is short at the moment. After a few beers yesterday, I decided to do something free and install the valve cover I had powdercoated a month ago. It came out pretty well, I'd say.

-Tyler

Breakin5speeds
14th March 2007, 07:20 PM
Thank you for convincing me to paint my new rims black and get clear corners:cheesy:

SteveMcqueen
14th March 2007, 09:12 PM
That cover looks great!

Tyler
16th March 2007, 05:33 PM
Thank you for convincing me to paint my new rims black and get clear corners:cheesy: Hey, no fair, that was MY idea!! Ha, just kidding. What kind of rims did you get?

-Tyler

Matthew
16th March 2007, 08:25 PM
Nice cam cover. Did the lettering end up powder coated? If so, I'd be interested in tips for removing the coating on the raised letters.

Tyler
17th March 2007, 12:31 PM
I'd assume a sanding block would take the powder coat right off the raised letters, but I chose to leave it on.

Breakin5speeds
18th March 2007, 12:39 PM
Hey, no fair, that was MY idea!! Ha, just kidding. What kind of rims did you get?

-Tyler

8 spoke Saab Branded MINILITES:cheesy: Made in great britain....awesome, I bent 2 of my shelbys, I happen to be getting cross drilled rotors as we speak, and I blacked the grille out the other day, with the rims, rotors, grille, and corners she'll be mean looking

IronJoe
26th March 2007, 12:44 PM
I happen to be getting cross drilled rotors as we speak

sorry to threadjack tyler!

Breakin, where are you getting xdrilled rotors? are they the 86-87 type (vented) ? I was only able to find the non-vented discs in xdrilled...

Breakin5speeds
26th March 2007, 09:31 PM
You have to have them made, any good machine or speed shop can do it, or you can with a drill press if you're brave, I have had two sets thus far, but there are two things to know FIRSTLY AND MOST IMPORTANT, buy GOOD ROTORS, Brembo, Zimmerman, Balo, or ATE, my supplier tells me ATE are the hardest with the highest iron content, but balo are probably the best overall, but most expensive. Also Stagger the holes one set I had drilled had rows of 4 holes all lining up around the rotors, after about 20k miles the rotors and pads where fairly grooved, also....I would not go with a drill any larger than 11/64", 3/16" works fine and I've never had any problems, but 3/16" makes LOUD, somewhat annoying rotors..... I'll toss somepics up when they are finished

P.S. my two brothers have an 86 and two 87 (yes 2) convertibles, and no problems have arisen from any of us using custom cross drilled rotors, ALSO Swedish Dynamics sell ceramic pads for old school 900s/99s and elkparts or sasab sell braided brakelines for 79-87 900s

Saab-Daniel
27th March 2007, 02:18 AM
Partsforsaabs dosn't list black diamond drilled and grooved disc for my solid disc brakes, but when asked, they can supply them. I'll bet that they can do the same for you with the vented front-handbrake cars.
Daniel.

Tyler
27th March 2007, 11:19 AM
This is a very old pic from when I first got the wheels on, but you can kind of see my 'custom' x-drilled rotors here. It's an 85, so they're non-vented, and I would assume that makes the drilling much simpler. All I did was make a template out of a piece of manilla folder, and took the brand new Brembo rotor (nerve-racking at first) to the drill press. Three years later, the rotors have just started to show tiny cracks around the holes, and they're getting pretty loud. I think I'll replace them with normal rotors, but the little project was definitely fun...

-Tyler

Breakin5speeds
27th March 2007, 06:59 PM
It's an 85, so they're non-vented, and I would assume that makes the drilling much simpler.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/SwedenLo/frontrotor1.jpghttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/SwedenLo/rearrotor1.jpg

Yes Solid rotors are much easier, I actually did these myself, using a similar method as you metioned tyler, I would do a couple things differently, but overall I am very happy, took FOREVER it seemed. The front rotors are drilled every 16.5 degrees and the rear rotors every 20 degrees...

Saab-Daniel
28th March 2007, 03:06 AM
We've been through it before, but I'm still of the oppinion that you shouldn't drill rotors yourself. You can't be sure if the metal can cope with it and might crack under hard braking, with some very nasty consequences to follow. Why not just buy the real stuff, since it's available???
Daniel.

Breakin5speeds
28th March 2007, 08:30 AM
Because I've researched black diamond rotors for my car, and they only make slotted and to get them from over seas it costs in the ball park of $500 for a set.....WAY too expensive for my liking. Also as I said before this is not the first set I've had drilled before, and I'm definitely not the first person to ever do it:p

Saab-Daniel
28th March 2007, 08:47 AM
I had the choice of slotted, drilled, or slotted AND drilled for my car (1983 solid disc, the same as yours), so that, I can't understand... ;)
As for cost, it's up to you, I wouldn't do it, as it can cause the disc to crack.
Daniel.

Matthew
28th March 2007, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't chance it either. Even Porsche say that drilled rotors are for show only :confused: and those holes are cast into the metal, not drilled. Brembo say their drilled rotors are for street use only; you can't even use them on the track, which tells you something about their fragility.

If you want better braking performance, get grooved rotors.

Interesting reading:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70557
http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/tech/#Rotors: why is it better to Turbo slot rotors instead of cross drilling them?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=279873&postcount=8

Tyler
28th March 2007, 12:45 PM
I agree. Like I said, I need new rotors again, and I won't be drilling them this time. There was absolutely no benefit that I noticed, and they ended up cracking. Granted, that was years later, but still.

I was also wondering the theoretical function of drilled rotors that are solid. Vented rotors would use the holes as passages for brake gasses to be purged from the braking surface, and pushed out through the 'vents'. Solid rotors would actually just sandwich the gasses in the hole, between the two pads, right? Just seems less effective, even in theory...

-T

flash900t
8th April 2007, 01:20 PM
did those 16x7" Rota Slipstream fit perfect without any work?

Tyler
9th April 2007, 11:15 AM
For the most part, yeah they fit. Before my car was as low as it is, they were pretty close to the spring perches both front and rear, so I put 5mm spacers on all four wheels. Now that my car is even lower, the fronts were scraping on the outside, so I've taken those spacers out and everything seems okay. Sometimes in parking lots I'll get a little rubbing at full lock in either direction, but that's just because my car is way too low.

flash900t
15th April 2007, 11:17 PM
was their any difficulty swappin the leather to grey i was think of doing the same thing, because the leather is going bad and the headliner is falling...so might as well re-do it all

flash900t
15th April 2007, 11:39 PM
did you do the carpet grey too?

Tyler
16th April 2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I did the carpet too. Found a perfect donor car and the swap was relatively simple. I just swapped out the whole seats and everything.

flash900t
16th April 2007, 08:44 PM
hmm...because i was thinking about doin the same thing but im only 17 and this is only my first car.

Tyler
17th April 2007, 10:00 AM
Well I've had four of these cars, so I know my way around one pretty well. But honestly if you're at all mechanically inclined, the interior should not pose much of a problem. The seats are probably the hardest part, and they're not that bad. Door panels couldn't be easier, and once everything is out, the carpet is basic. Give it a shot.

Tyler
18th July 2007, 12:48 AM
So I haven't been into the SPG lately and hence, have neglected it a bit. I think it paid me back for that this weekend. Driving from Sacramento to Santa Cruz on I-5, my turbo decided to blow to pieces. Stranded, I hitched a ride home and am waiting fro the car to get here later this week so I can tear into it. I hope it's only the turbo, but I suspect headgasket failure too, as it over heated several times leading up to the blown turbo.

I think it's time for some TLC to be thrown at the SPG. Let this be a lesson: preventative maintainance is called that for a reason!

-Tyler

Tyler
19th July 2007, 12:00 PM
Well the turbo is definitely ruined! Both the exhaust and compressor housings are shot, and the impellor and compressor themselves are just shredded. I took some crappy pictures with my phone, because I know I like a good laugh...Check 'em out.

-tyler

Matthew
19th July 2007, 01:14 PM
Brutal! :o

Did you find any of the bits?

philb
19th July 2007, 01:15 PM
I hope the intercooler caught them for you.

saabismi
20th July 2007, 06:06 PM
ur making me jealous with your Aeros:cheesy: or SPG-s dont care:DAero sound sportish:D

Tyler
29th July 2007, 10:33 PM
So I got the new(er) turbo on today and the car is finally running again. Trouble is all the oil that old blown turbo left over in my entire intake tract. I had the manifold off the do a bunch of coolant hoses, etc. and while I was in there I cleaned about a 1/4 quart out of the manifold itself. Figured that would take some time off the burn-off time. What I forgot to do, however, is empty the ic!

So, I got the car together and took it out today, only to blind and possibly asphyxiate everyone behind me. I checked the throttle body and, viola, another pool of oil in the manifold! Damn. So I checked the ic like a forgot to do the first time and literally the bottom 2-3 inches of my huge JSP ic were filled with oil and some metal shavings!! Anyway, I got that all cleaned out and drove the car some more. Trouble is that the oil from the ic from the first turbo blowing made it's way into the manifold and pooled up (obviously). Anyone know how long I can expect this oil to burn off? If it's only a few minutes I'll just deal with it, as I really don't want to remove the damn tb or manifold AGAIN. Anyone have experience with this?

Oh, and when replacing your c900 thermostat, don't put it in backwards. My car has been running very hot and taking forever to heat up for the last two years...since I replaced the thermostat.... Now it runs right where it should!

-Tyler

Tyler
7th August 2007, 07:08 PM
Got a stock turbo in, replaced all the coolant hoses, fixed my thermostat, stripped the crappy clear coat off my manifold, bolted the FPR down, washed and waxed it, etc.

I then took pictures to document it.

-Tyler

Matthew
19th August 2007, 05:20 AM
I like the Swedish plate ;)

Pap
26th September 2007, 12:52 AM
I absolutly love your car, I just can't get enough of it. Thanks for sharing all the pics. Looks great!

Tyler
9th October 2007, 12:02 AM
So, after going with Intrax on the last two SPG's I've owned, I've decided to bite the bullet and go with something really performance-minded.

The fronts are 500# and the rears are 650#, which I believe is WAY stiffer than Intrax, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know what the Intrax rates are? How about stock SPG springs? Either way, I'm pumped to be done with cutting springs and experimenting with this stuff.

Brad definitely knows his stuff. Good workmanship, and I've no complaints whatsoever. I'll have more details after the installation tomorrow afternoon.

Squaab99t
9th October 2007, 01:46 AM
So, after going with Intrax on the last two SPG's I've owned, I've decided to bite the bullet and go with something really performance-minded.

The fronts are 500# and the rears are 650#, which I believe is WAY stiffer than Intrax, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know what the Intrax rates are? How about stock SPG springs? Either way, I'm pumped to be done with cutting springs and experimenting with this stuff.

Brad definitely knows his stuff. Good workmanship, and I've no complaints whatsoever. I'll have more details after the installation tomorrow afternoon.

Oh yah, it is stiffer. You can really feel the expansion cracks on the freeway at low speed. The handling is so much better. With the stiffer rear spings the oversteer will increase, especially if you have the front arb out of there. One of the draw back I have found; if you jack up the front of the car the spring will become unseated on the top. You have to line them back up as you reweight the car.

Tyler
9th October 2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I can't wait. It's only 7:30 am here and I'm about to go start installing them, haha. As far as jacking the car up and having the spring unseat, I am used to that from my old Intrax that I cut too short (stupid, I know), so I think the better handling will be worth it. Thanks!

-Tyler

Tyler
9th October 2007, 12:20 PM
So I got the front springs in with little trouble. Nobody told me about having to trim the expansion tank bracket on the driver side, though. A couple minutes and a jigsaw took care of it, the picture explains what the problem was.

So, they're definitely stiffer, but how much I can't tell until I get the rears on. There were a few things I was surprised about.

1. They didn't go as low as I'd hoped. I think they probably just need to seat in a bit better. Either way, I'd like the front (purely for looks) to be about a 1/4-1/2 inch lower.

2. The bottom of the springs is a TIGHT fit on the stock spring seat. Even after I lowered the car, there was still about a 1/4" gap between the seat and the spring. It wasn't till I hit a big ol' bump in the road that they settled in. I guess that's better than too loose though.

So I hope to get around to the rears sometime today or tomorrow, then I'll have a realy impression on Brad's suspension. And I'll have a good idea how crappy my tires are!

-Tyler

Tyler
11th October 2007, 12:05 PM
Okay, so Brad's the man. I got the rear springs in yesterday and my first impressions are very good. Apparently some people got rates that were stiffer than mine, but for now mine are just fine. I think it's the tires that need help next. What do you guys think is a good street tire. Bridgestone Pole positions? Dunlop Direzza?

Anyway, I think that after I replace the front arb bushings and upgrade my tires, I'll be done with suspension mods for now. Give me suggestions.

-Tyler

Breakin5speeds
11th October 2007, 12:24 PM
I like the BF Goodrich GForce Sports

Tyler
11th October 2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah those seem to hook up well on my girlfriend's S4, but the all wheel drive helps too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Aussiebob
12th October 2007, 10:45 PM
Tyler - I am talking to Brad re springs for my 900T race car project. He suggested 500/650 or 550/700 if I want harder. I know with spring cushions I could adjust the softer set to harder settings. You used the softer. In hindsght would you go harder.

Tyler
13th October 2007, 05:02 PM
In hindsight I may go with the harder setting. Although right now my car is my daily driver so I could really see the 550/700 combo being pretty harsh. on normal roads. On a race application I'd DEF. go with the stiffer rates. All in all, the 500/650 is a good, streetable set up.

-Tyler

Tyler
18th October 2007, 11:03 AM
Last night we took the S4 and the SPG for a nice drive up Highway 9, which is 26 miles of freshly paved turns, and a ****load of fun. I let the S4 set the pace at first (my girlfriend's car, but she's not afraid to drive..) and as expected, my car kept up just fine. The S4 has stock suspension, but much better tires than my car.

As the road climbs higher, the turns get tighter and I was able to really throw the car into some tight, 15-30 mph corners (according to the caution signs) at well over the recommended speeds. So yeah, my car is finally able to cope with the turns in these mountain. Not very exciting, but we took some video of staright away and some pictures at the top...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFyZjaTJ558

I really want to get more video and stuff, so maybe I'll have a good one soon...

-Tyler

dlb
18th October 2007, 11:24 AM
So it sounds like it, but I'll ask anyway did you get your money's worth on the new suspension? BTW good video, it looks like your really moving quick there.

Tyler
18th October 2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah I'd say I really got my money's worth on Brad's springs. I would recommend them to any c900 owner. It handles like none of my other SPGs ever have (obviously). Thanks for the props on my video, but I'm gonna work on a better one that really shows what the car can do now...

-Tyler

Tyler
4th November 2007, 02:20 PM
So I ended up just getting an Ebay intercooler, and it seems to fit pretty well. I'm still 'fixing' my bumper to allow the IC to get some airflow, so I'll have more pictures soonish. Nothing special, but I'm a car picture whore...

Breakin5speeds
4th November 2007, 03:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's still much nicer then stock, but dang, oh well, boost is no good if the car over heats I guess, let us know how well it works

Tyler
5th November 2007, 01:36 AM
Well I just took it out tonight and I have to say it's not so bad. I'm only running 15 psi so maybe I'll notice more restriction when I up the boost, but for now it pulls well, all things considered. I rallied up highway nine and pulled over for a rest, and the left endtank was hot to the touch, while the right one was literally cold, so at least it's doing it's job. Plus, without the bumper on right now I'm probably getting more flow to it than the old one was...

I'm still pretty bummed, but at least this one fits and everything.

-Tyler

philjohnhb
5th November 2007, 03:25 AM
Looks like a nice neat installation there Tyler. Can you cut out the licence plate recess to provide airflow and re-fit the bumper? Would be a shame to lose that old Aero look.

Tyler
5th November 2007, 10:02 AM
That's exactly what I'm working on right now. I just have to get more saw blades and I should be able to finish soon.

IronJoe
5th November 2007, 12:42 PM
Tyler, can you post up the measurements of that cooler? and a link perhaps? :cheesy:

Tyler
6th November 2007, 01:35 PM
27x6x2.5 inches w/ 2.5 inch inlet/outlet. The key here is making sure you get the JDM intercooler, hahaha. That Japanese Domestic Market makes the highest quality stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-UNIVERSAL-27X6X2-5_W0QQitemZ300167933457QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33602QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not actually sure if that's the same company I got mine from, but it should be the same intercooler. I thought it was cool that they supplied extra threaded bungs and some sheet metal brackets, but to actually make the random hardware supplied work took a bit of fabrication. Overall, I'm glad I did it.

-Tyler

Honkey
6th November 2007, 11:06 PM
I'm just wondering what the benefit of having a larger intercooler than this one would be?

It lets you run higher boost because you can cool more air and cool the air closer to ambient (or below with water squirt on the IC) temperature?

Also I hear that a lot of the large ones aren't as good as the high quality smaller ones? What makes a good IC, just have one made from a metal with a low specific heat capacity and good air flows through the IC?

Tyler
7th November 2007, 11:49 AM
Honkey,

I think the main difference in intercoolers is the way they're made (bar and plate vs. tube and fin). It's my understanding that bar and plates flow much better, and I think they all cool really well. So, my old IC which was 18x12x3 probably flowed better than my smaller one, but I think they're both rated for several hundred HP. And it could be placebo, but I think lag has been mildly reduced with the smaller one.

-Tyler

Pap
3rd March 2008, 04:26 PM
Did you have much trouble fitting the 18x12x3? (I'm guessing that is 18" core length) I'm trying to figure out what size to go with on my '85 and am now considering the 27x6x2.5 size range but it seems fairly long and would create more problems.

Tyler
20th September 2008, 11:21 AM
So althugh it's relatively minor, my car got hit in the parking garage last night. Wrecked my front bumper, E-code headlights (!), grill, and bent the bumper mounts a bit. Question is, should I take this opportunity to convert the car to the newer style bumpers? I like the look of my -86 front end, but I can't seem to find replacement headlights of that vintage. So.... what do you guys think?

-Tyler

euromobile900
21st September 2008, 11:04 AM
I'd say don't do a front end conversion. Bumpers are easy to find (SPG front skirts, however, may be another matter, I do not know) and you should be able to find some lamp frames for the American pre-'86 front end with sealed beam headlights from a junkyard.
E-codes do pop up from time to time on fleabay. New post-'86 front end headlights cost about $300 a pop (!) Any post-'86 American headlights you find in a junkyard or on fleabay will probably have bad reflectors, which, in my experience, are worse than the sealed beams originally available on the '86. And they are impossible to refurbish. If you still want E-code performance on the old American style front end that takes only sealed beams, I know Hella makes sealed beam replacements that are E-code. They cost less than $200 for both sides, have glass lenses and aluminum reflectors, and fit right into the pre-'86 American light frames probably available at your local wrecker. And their performance is exceptional.
Find them here
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/headlamps.asp

EDIT:
Well, I'll be...looks like you put those E-codes in yourself, so you must still have all the mounting apparatus for the sealed beams. Just think of how much money you will save, and how much better your car will look...
Keep your will strong against post-'86 makeovers, and drive your flatnosed 900 with pride :cool:

Tyler
21st September 2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, going with the DOT lights would save a lot, but I pretty much hate the look of the sealed beam lights. If I'm keeping the flat-nose front end, I need E-codes. In fact, I bought them before I even got the car, haha. That being, said, I found brand-new E-codes for the new front end on the 'bay for under 300 shipped. Used old style E-codes go for that much....and they're used. We'll see, I'll call some of the local SAAB shops tomorrow in search of headlights.

Tyler
27th September 2008, 09:05 PM
Nice. I found pre-87 E-codes and they're on their way. So, the car will remain a flat nose. Grill and bumper have not been as easy to find, but I'm not worried about it nearly as much as I was about finding those lights.

One thing I was thinking about is replacement lenses for the older E-codes. Does anyone know a source (most likely not in the states) for brand new lenses?

Also, seats. Still. I know that only a few model years are direct replacements for mine, but what about taking my siders (which mount to the seats with four seemingly typical bolts) and mounting them on newer seats? Anyone have any experience with that? I see tons of newer 9-3 and GM900 seats on ebay, but no decent C900s. We'll see what happens...

-Tyler

Breakin5speeds
27th September 2008, 09:13 PM
e,l,k,p,a,r,t,s.com has whole assemblies, and I believe lenses, they're in the UK, I have bought all kinds stuff from them and have been very happy, just be paitent with the week and a half to get the stuff

Tyler
27th September 2008, 09:33 PM
Ahh! So I just checked out elkparts, and they do have lenses but only the left side. I'd need both but it looks like they're out of stock of the right ones. They have complete units but at $400+ EACH I think I'll have to skip that. Maybe if I didn't just spend $300 on used ones....

Thanks for the tip though, I'll be checking those guys from now on.

-Tyler

euromobile900
28th September 2008, 10:53 AM
Hooray! I'm happy to hear your car will remain flatnose. Way to represent!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I know you can put 9000 seats into a 900, but they end up angled a little funny. They're still mad comfortable. If I could find some in my interior's shade of eggplant purple (or if I could swap the skins) I could be talked into upgrading. I have taken to driving everywhere with my backseat folded down as a kind of lumbar support for my sagging driver's seat. It actually makes a difference, as I have to put the driver's seat all the way back to avoid my knees hitting the wheel :cheesy:

PS. Know where I can get my hands on some of those early e-codes? :lol:

saabmatt
28th September 2008, 05:45 PM
You can get Reflectors here.

http://www.scantechparts.co.uk/acatalog/Head_Lamps_Saab_900_Classic.html

Tyler
28th September 2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the link but it looks like they only list the reflectors for 86-93 c900s. I would need them for 79-86. I'll keep poking around though. And as for finding e-codes, good luck. I was super surprised to have found them so quickly.

Tyler
8th October 2008, 09:06 PM
Cool, both the used E-codes came intact and the car is looking like it should, minus the grill and bumper. In the mean time I've ordered myself a little something...

http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/gts_ii/#

Corbeau GTS-II reclineable seats in leather. Nice. The seats should be here soon but the brackets are special order so they won't go in the car for a month or so. I'm super pumped. I'll have to post a pic of my current seats so you know what I'm dealing with.

-Tyler

Jokke A
9th October 2008, 07:17 AM
The seats look really good. :cool:

IronJoe
9th October 2008, 10:44 AM
Cool, both the used E-codes came intact and the car is looking like it should, minus the grill and bumper. In the mean time I've ordered myself a little something...

http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/gts_ii/#

Corbeau GTS-II reclineable seats in leather. Nice. The seats should be here soon but the brackets are special order so they won't go in the car for a month or so. I'm super pumped. I'll have to post a pic of my current seats so you know what I'm dealing with.

-Tyler

Oh nice. I definitely want something like this, but in black cloth. What are they charging for the brackets? Did you order them through Corbeau? Or where?

Tyler
9th October 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys. The brackets were $94 a piece but they were special order so they take a while to get. I got them through apex performance .net. They are super nice and gave me free shipping. The cloth ones are way cheaper then the leather, by the way.

-tyler

Tyler
14th October 2008, 01:34 PM
Here are the seats I got. They look really good, and smell like a new car! Hopefully they were over-estimating and it doesn't really take 6 weeks for the brackets and sliders to come...

Saab-Daniel
14th October 2008, 04:15 PM
Very cool, where did you get them from?
Daniel.

Tyler
14th October 2008, 04:44 PM
I got them from apexperformance. net but I believe you can get them from Corbeau direct as well. I highly recommend them for stock looking seats with more aggressive bolstering. My friend had the cloth ones in his Volvo and they were great.

IronJoe
14th October 2008, 05:14 PM
Not too flashy, just perfect. Love them. Hopefully my budget will allow for a set soon.

IronJoe
27th October 2008, 12:27 AM
Seat brackets come yet? I'm dying to see those in your car!

Tyler
27th October 2008, 01:36 AM
No such luck. But, I was bored the other night and took my passenger seat out and mocked up the Corbeau. It will be VERY nice. Unfortunately I fell on my camera and broke it, so pics might be delayed.

IronJoe
27th October 2008, 10:19 AM
No such luck. But, I was bored the other night and took my passenger seat out and mocked up the Corbeau. It will be VERY nice. Unfortunately I fell on my camera and broke it, so pics might be delayed.

Does it look like the seating position will be moved higher/lower? I guess it's impossible to tell without the brackets...

Tyler
27th October 2008, 11:21 AM
It's hard to say without the the brackets, but in my friends' Volvo 240s the seating got way lower. Also, based on how thin the bottom portion of the seat is compared to the stock one, it should get a fair amount lower. Which is good, I think because my stock driver seat is really high.

IronJoe
27th October 2008, 02:03 PM
I agree.

I am a tall guy (6'3") and I'd love a lower seating position.

Tyler
27th October 2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah dude, I'm not even tall (5'10") and my driver seat is quite a bit higher than I'd like. These seats would look killer in your convertible, by the way.

Tyler
11th December 2008, 12:20 PM
While I'm not terribly impressed with the brackets that came for my new Corbeau seats, I'm glad they're in and they feel/look good. There were some problems getting bolts to align, etc. Overall it's fine though. I chose to put the seats at their lowest of three height settings, and would go lower if I could. As of right now they are exactly the same as stock and I wanted a bit lower. Oh well, they are still really nice. pic:

IronJoe
11th December 2008, 02:10 PM
While I'm not terribly impressed with the brackets that came for my new Corbeau seats, I'm glad they're in and they feel/look good. There were some problems getting bolts to align, etc. Overall it's fine though. I chose to put the seats at their lowest of three height settings, and would go lower if I could. As of right now they are exactly the same as stock and I wanted a bit lower. Oh well, they are still really nice. pic:

They look fantastic tyler!!

I am pretty confused about my brackets... The Driver's side one doesn't look like what I thought it should look like - how do they bolt in on the back?

EDIT: Also how do you choose the height? My brackets don't look like they have height settings...

Tyler
11th December 2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah I was confused at first too. The rear mounts on our cars are just loops. What you do for the rear is drop a bolt (which you supply) through the hole on the bracket, then thread it into the little square threaded plates they should have provided. It's pretty basic once you look at it in the car. As for the height, there are four silver hex bolts at the corners of the brackets. Take these out and put them through one of three holes in the brackets to adjust height. If you're taller, you will DEFINITELY want the lowest setting. I'll try to take more pics later to help explain better.

IronJoe
20th December 2008, 11:30 PM
So I got the height adjusted and the brackets attached, but I still don't understand how the rear attaches. They only supplied two threaded plates, is that right? Or should I have received four? I feel like I'd need four, one for each rear mount. How many did you get?

Tyler
21st December 2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I got two with each bracket. I am sure a bolt/washers would suffice.