SaabCentral Forums banner

89 9000 turbo leaky exhaust manifold

668 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  davestlouis 
#1 ·
I'm going to take a look at a 1989 9000 turbo later today, the owner states it has a leak between the head and exhaust manifold. How awful of a job is it to fix this? The only way it make monetary sense to buy this car is if I can do it myself. Your input is appreciated.

#2 ·
There are two likely places the exhaust leaks around that area. Either it's where he has stated, head to manifold or alternatively exhaust manifold to turbo.

Either job is doable but the problem that may be behind this is broken studs. If studs have snapped off and are left behind in the head, that's an awkward problem if the head is still in the car. Either i'm just unlucky but whenever a stud has snapped on me, it's because it's seriously tight and I drill the hole in the stud and then snap the stud extractor which is an even bigger problem. :)

Viability of the job then depends on how competent you are and how comfortable you feel with the task. As I said, not a big job if it goes well for you ;)

David.

#4 ·
The seller wanted $500, I suspect they would go for $275-300. I work in a bodyshop where there are 20 body tech's and mechanics to bail me out if I need them, but I can't justify a retail repair where I have to pay $125/hr for labor.

I plan to take a look this afternoon and see what the rest of the car looks like, that may determine if I take this on or not.

#5 ·
YUCK...the car is black with dark gray leather:
173xxx miles, rust on 2 doors, 3 of the 4 window regulators don't work, headliner and quarter panel interior trim are falling loose, driver's seat looks like a dog ate it, missing buttons on radio and climate control panels, has been sitting for a year, per the seller. I'm not buying this one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.