SaabCentral Forums banner

Hot air please.....

743 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  mtadd162 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi you doing guys i have a few question relating to some repairs my saab needs. First is my hot water valve. Obviously its winter and my car puts barly any heat out so i was wondering where the location is of the hotwater valve and how i would go about getting to it. Also perhaps anyother hints on how to get it blowing hot air from anyone else that has had problems.

Next is my dash. I need to take my dash off and i was wondering on how I would start such a thing on this swedish beast. Specifically i need to get to the headlight switch becuase ive pin pointed a problem relating to my highbeams. (Passenger side doesnt work but when a jumper wire is run it turns on). Any help would be awesome

#2 ·
I can't comment on the heat issue. However, the headlight switch can be removed without taking any of the dash apart. I believe it has three prongs that hold it into the dash fascia. You'll either turn the switch to the right or left beyond it's normal range of motion until the prongs are released. On the other hand, I forget, maybe it just prys out with a small flat bladed screwdriver. :) Either way, you can change the switch without touching anything else. If you need to actually get to the wiring upstream of the switch plug, well sure, then you probably want to take the dash off. For that, you will remove three screws from each of the front speaker grills, also will need to pry off the A-pillar trim to get the grills out. Pull off the A-pillar weatherstripping to get off the trim. There's a screw in the glovebox holding the dash top, and I think a few more under the speaker grills. It's been so long that I really forget, but it should become straightforward once you are started.

#3 ·
No hot water valve. This is the Euro style full flow constant flow system. The heater core is always fully hot. Cabin air temp is modified by blending outside air with heated air. Yer air temp flap is busted or the control motor is kaput.

headligth switch is a simple pry out with a thinbladed screwdriver, very carefully so as not to scratch the fascia. You definitely don't want to try taking off the fascia as you have to remove EVERY switch and blanking plate first to get it off!

#4 ·
Hi you doing guys i have a few question relating to some repairs my saab needs. First is my hot water valve. Obviously its winter and my car puts barly any heat out so i was wondering where the location is of the hotwater valve and how i would go about getting to it. Also perhaps anyother hints on how to get it blowing hot air from anyone else that has had problems.
The engine thermostat could have failed open, check that first.

#5 · (Edited)
alright considering there is no hot water valve where about is the location of this flap or motor?? and i was doing some research on my own about my auxilery light question and i found out that it gets power from the "filament monitor" so i was wondering if anyone knew where that was also?

#6 ·
The air blend flap is inside the heater box and inaccessible. The operating lever is on the passenger side of this box just visible between the AC box (or cabin air intake if no AC) and the heater box after you remove the plastic cover from the false bulkhead area at the base of the windshield under the hood. If this is broken then the flap won't move. This lever is connected to the stepper motor that operates it via a cable that ends up inside the dash behind the glovebox/passenger side airbag which must be removed to access. Try running the ACC self test first.

The filament monitor doesn't power the "auxilliary lights" by which I think you mean the park or side lights but it does detect current draw differences left to right to allow it to signal a burned out bulb. If the fog or driving lights are the issue then the headlight switch doesn't operate those, one of the square "button" dash switches operates these fog lights, though there is a connection with the high beam circuit as fog lights go out automatically if the hi beams go on.

#10 ·
anybody?? im pretty sure i can solve the problem if i find this filament monitor...also i had a question about the heating problem, do the heating controls ever go on them/would this cause a problem such as what im having....becuase i replaced the thermostate, flushed out my system, and did the AAC test and everything is supposudly working fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.