SaabCentral Forums banner

Axle Shaft Boot R&R

608 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  grade8graydad 
#1 ·
While looking for access to the windshield washer pump, I spied a torn driver-side outer CV boot. So I self-edumacate (like self-medicate?) on how-to and not-to from this-here Saab Central. :)

Well, I've got the axle out. Casualties: One needle bearing in pieces. :cry: Upper strut bolt (cammed one) broken :( (but finally removed after penetrating oil--PB blaster, heat, and the right-sized hammer. Thankfully I missed my hands and fingers in all the pounding. The splined joint came out of the wheel bearing housing pretty easily with a 3-lb dead-blow hammer.

I'll spend time this afternoon putting the axle back together. It sure is nice having a 40k Btu propane salamander heater to heat the insulated garage from 15 F to 50 F in about 30 minutes. (I mention this not to brag but to give others info if they're sizing heaters in cold climates. BTW, my garage is slightly over 2-car.)

#2 ·
There are 35 needle bearings in each bearing. I counted one set to make sure I had all the pieces. The bearing assembly is back together. I smeared grease on the post to keep the needles in place until the outer race was slipped over. Make sure the needles are neat, line up the race, and you're golden.

It was tricky getting the c-clip and bearing retainer back on the end of the post. I finally succeeded by starting one end of the c-clip in the groove and working my way around, tapping it lightly with a screwdriver to get it to seat in the groove. It was snug, but not too bad.

BTW, I tapped the tripod off with a small hammer and drift, medium taps did the job. I tapped it back on using a socket, and again, medium taps did the job. The taper is slight, but you can tell which way is right by starting it by hand. It readily engages the splines, then stops.

I need a larger clamp for the outer CV boot because the one sent w/ kit is too small. :(

#3 ·
I would not mess around with replacing the boot. Eeuro.com has a complete,rebuilt axle for $50. The parts alone for replacing a boot come close to that and replacing the boot is a nasty, messy job, as you have found.

If its a 95, then I'm sure the CV joints have many miles on them and it makes sense to refresh the whole assembly.

#4 ·
And why is this taking so long, beside the parts issues? Oh, maybe just 30 inches of snow! The school I teach at (can u guess the grade) canceled school W / Th / F! So I had time to snowblow, shovel, snoblow, shovel, and a little car repair.

Anyhow, I go to the dealer for the cam-bolt for the strut-to-wheel housing. Not only is that, "have to order," but so is the boot clamp! :( PJ's Autovillage in Burlington is a joke. So I go to BFCP for a universal clamp, and my hardware store of used fasteners for a suitable bolt.

Zip, snap, whack, and I'm done!

Abusot, I would've gone for an axle, but someone/somewhere said replacement was a bear because they always give you the wrong shaft. The joint looked and felt good after cleaning, so I should be okay for a few miles.

BTW, a handy tool for the unreachable inner boot clamp is a modified robo-grip (Sears) that I ground to one thickness. It worked pretty good.

BTW2 - It was a Europarts boot kit that had the wrong (large) clamp. It's no biggie for me, though. I'll use them again.

#5 ·
Second thoughts...When I removed the axle shaft, one needle bearing bearing came apart inside the inner CV. Obviously the retainer caught on an edge and it popped apart. How likely is this to happen putting it back together? I am haunted by the fact I had to tap the joint back together. Part of me wants to pull the boot back to check, the other part wants to believe all it well? Who should I believe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.