SaabCentral Forums banner

Timing chain replacement

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Marrk 
#1 ·
Hi all. Has anyone done timing chain on a 9000 1990 2.0 Turbo engine? My mechanic has told me it is rattling slightly, the car has done 131k so I guess it will need doing soon? He has quoted me 5 hours labour, and the cheapest I have seen chain kits is £160 odd.
Was wandering if I can get the chain kit any cheaper and if 5 hours labour is right for this job?

Regards,

Alex

#2 ·
Assuming the vehicle has had proper maintenance (by that I mean oil change intervals), there's no reason the chain won't last the life of the vehicle and/or engine. My 1987 still had the original chain at 256k miles, though the engine had developed a rod knock. I did have an updated tensioner put in at roughly 160k miles, and that only cost around $120 USD if I recall correctly. Yours being a 1990, it may not even need that. If it's rattling, I was under the impression that you could just change the tensioner to tighten things up. But having never actually looked into the price of a chain replacement job, I can't comment on the quoted time figure.

#3 ·
Thanks Aaron. It appears that the engine and indeed the car in general have been very well looked after. I think il ask my mechanic to see about getting a new tensioner and seeing if it can be corrected. I wasnt too sure about the chain, I know on some cars they can sometimes require a change at a specific mileage but I guess being a Saab they are engineered well enough not to warrant a change? The engine is running well other than an erratic idling which I aim to get sorted.
Its had a new Di cartridge, AFM, all new coolant/turbo hoses, filters and plugs etc. There are no signs of it being neglected/thrashed etc service history looks good, exterior and interior in very good condition so Il just ask about the tensioner before I go and buy a full kit.

Thanks for your advice Aaron,

Regards,

Alex

#4 ·
My understanding is that one of the major benefits of using a timing chain (vs. timing belt) is that it does not require maintenance. My Suzuki also uses a timing chain, and the manufacturer specifically points out that it's 'zero maintenance'. Timing belts typically have a specified change interval of 60-100k miles. Some people ignore this and get away with it, but depending on the design of the engine, they do it at their peril. Glad to hear you've picked up a well taken care of 9000. That really can make all the difference.

#5 ·
...The 9000 I bought was the one advertised on the saab owners club forum for £750, black with carlsson body kit, its simply the best handling/performance car ive ever driven. Only body work that needs attention is the laquer has peeled on the bumpers and they could do with having some cracks repaired, and theres a small patch of bubbling above one of the rear arches, looks like from a chipping. The interior is nearly immaculate, has the full walnut dash and trimmings, and all the electrics work!

Ive never had such a well built car for the money and its a shame that there isnt many of the early 9000s left on UK roads.

Alex

#6 ·
The timing chains has plastic guides and these wear too, given a little chain wear added on, they can rattle.

In answer to the question, yes 5 hours is a reasonable rate although there is another option which is to roll on a split chain which is very much quicker but the down side is that you don't get to inspect the bottom sprocket but it is something you could try if you wanted to.

David.

#7 ·
Actually you can inspect the bottom sprocket. If you shine a shoplight straight down inbetween the timing gears, you can see the top of the sprocket. Then you rotate the engine over to view all the teeth.

If you want a closer inspection, take a picture of the top of the sprocket with a high resolution digital camera with a flash. You would be surprised what a 5 megapixel flashed picture can show that a human eye cannot see.

As for the split link timing chain....it is a relatively easy operation once you get the tensioner out. The only challenging part is trying to peen the ends of the replacement chain since the chain is hanging in the air so you cant get good leverage on it to hammer it.

My honest advice.....replace the tensioner and leave everything in place. My old chain looked every bit as solid as the replacement.

#8 ·
PetesGriffon said:
Actually you can inspect the bottom sprocket. If you shine a shoplight straight down inbetween the timing gears, you can see the top of the sprocket. Then you rotate the engine over to view all the teeth.

If you want a closer inspection, take a picture of the top of the sprocket with a high resolution digital camera with a flash. You would be surprised what a 5 megapixel flashed picture can show that a human eye cannot see.

As for the split link timing chain....it is a relatively easy operation once you get the tensioner out. The only challenging part is trying to peen the ends of the replacement chain since the chain is hanging in the air so you cant get good leverage on it to hammer it.

My honest advice.....replace the tensioner and leave everything in place. My old chain looked every bit as solid as the replacement.
I guess if you want to count teeth then yes you can do that but you can't check for pitting for example because you really need to clean the part off before being able to do that.

Why replace the tensioner though, it's not a part that's subject to wear, the chain guides yes but the tensioner?

David.

#9 ·
I have just replaced the chain and guides on my 1990 2L Carlsson and the rattle was gone.
However, I did find that had I not taken it apart I would have soon ended up with an oil pump failure.
The early oil pump drive only had one notch into the crank shaft timing sproket. This had worn about 80% of the way through and would have failed before long had I left it.

5 hours is a good estimate, most garages wanted £750+ to do the chain and guides. That is why I did them myself. Took me 3 days and all in cost me £200 including a new oil pump and a new water pump. Timing gear is about £120 on parts for saabs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.