SaabCentral Forums banner

knocking

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  yogi_9000cse 
#1 · (Edited)
my 9000 cse has a loud knocking/ratleing noise comeing from under the valve cove i took it off and but didnt see anthing lose of broke. You can bearly hear it when it idels but when it gets 2000-25000 rpm it at it worst but when im driving at 55 mph you can bearly hear it at all . it doesnt get any better or worse as it worms up and i have seen that the tem is up a bit more then it has in the past any ideas at what this could be? also the car shakes a lil bit more the it use to.

#2 ·
is it an intermittent rattling sound? or is it a continuous chattering sound? I was maybe thinking the balance shaft chain or timing chain is worn. thats my guess on the rattling. but if its chattering it could be the hydraulic valve lifters that have failed. I dont know if this is your problem but my '92 9000 turbo had a rattling sound comming from the engine and I figured out it was the balance shaft chain and timing chain.

#4 ·
ya its comeing from the cam or valves i took off the valve cover and look but didnt see any thing wrong. the timeing chaine was real tight it didnt have any slack at all. is it suposted to be this tight or have a lil slack in it and the nosie has gone down a lot so it hard to hear it while im driving if this helps any one whit my problem and thanks for the help to

#5 ·
i noted over the past few day that its not as bad i plan on replacing all the oil with so 40 or 50 w and some STP to see if that help and a new fliter most likely a fram. But b/4 i put in the new oil im going to spray down the cams and valves down with WD40 and use a tooth brush to clean it real good b/4 i do any think that may cost more b/c as of now im broke

#8 ·
mhhmmm too be honest i would(regardless of this noise or not) seafoam you engine get all the gunk out then change the oil again(they recoomend u change the oil and spark plugs after seafoam)and run some mobile 1 of a heavier weight and try some lucas oil stabalizer with it

goodluck

#13 ·
Marrk said:
Do not use Lucas Stabiliser unless you want this to happen....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

The noise you are hearing is the timing chain on its way out, been there bought the tee-shirt and then put in a split chain, noise gone. ;)

mhmm good to know ive used it before and liked it, though i didnt add it to every oil change like they recomend ive only used it once...still good to know and i sure wont be using it again

#14 ·
When im not short trips like 10 mints driving i rally dont har it any more but if i go in a stor and com out i do. so it has something to do with it geting worm. Im thanking of just outing in a heavyer waight of oil i have 5w 40 in it now i was thanking of puting in stright 50 waight in it is this ok? we dont get too cold of weather in ga

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.