SaabCentral Forums banner

Black DI increased my fuel efficiency?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  PetesGriffon 
#1 ·
Call me crazy but i think my Black DI casette has increased my fuel efficiency by about 25% - 30%

I used to get about 350 miles to a tank (i drive it pretty hard)

now i get around 450 - 475 miles to a tank.

*This may also be due to the fact that i recently had the head gasket and piston rings and bearing replaced.*

#5 ·
mhmm well like i said it went up after replacing it......umm one thing is 19 mpg(us) remotel okay...i mean i know its an older engine but it running the proper ngk spark plugs with proper gaps, new di casette, vaccum hose is new cause i replaced it, tire pressure is fine, i only use 93 oct fuel, run purely mobil 1 synthetic oil, have a fresh K&N filter, only thing left i can think of is maybe i got to change m fuel filter....

also ive run seafoam through the engne twice first time tons of smoke then about 6 miles later i did it again and very little smoke so its running clean.......maybe an 02 sensor or something??

#7 ·
yeah thats a little less than what id get in pure town driving(though it never happens to be all in town) overall i get about 320 miles a tank before i refuel....sometime though i drive with the fuel light and the refill blinking till it says 4 miles left :eek: :nono;

though i try not to do that anymore

#9 · (Edited)
sp53 said:
Hay Boon what size gas tank do you have. I have a 89 9000 and I only get 250 a tank in town.

Steve
The manual says 17 gallons or 17.5 or something, but one time i had the computer saying 0 miles left in tank for about 5 miles, and it took around 18.5 gallons when i filled it up. Is there a reserve to make it idiotsafe? (but to make a point, when i got on the highway, it said i had 30 miles left, and when i was 10 miles away from an exit it droped down to 3 miles left, than 0 miles left .SCARY!:eek:)

Im currently at 425 miles with the computer reading that i have another 25 miles before then tank is empty.

BTW, I use mobile 1 changed every 3000 miles as well as a new K&N performance oil filter every 3000 miles. As well as 93 octane (US) rated gasoline. Every once and a while i use a fuel additive that claims to increase fuel efficiency, however on this tank full im not.

#10 ·
Superaero said:
All 9000 have a 67 litre tank.
This is not correct. My 1991 only has a 16.4 gallon tank, or 62.2 liters. I was surprised and disappointed by this, as I too used to think that all 9000 had the same size tank. So I can't go nearly as far as I did in my old '87, even assuming I could get the same fuel economy. But, it hurts less at the pump.

For the record, my '87 manual said the tank was 17.9 gallons, or 67.8 liters. All specifications I've seen for '92-98 say 17.4 or 17.5 gallons, or 65.9/66.3 liters.

#12 ·
boon94 said:
The manual says 17 gallons or 17.5 or something, but one time i had the computer saying 0 miles left in tank for about 5 miles, and it took around 18.5 gallons when i filled it up. Is there a reserve to make it idiotsafe? (but to make a point, when i got on the highway, it said i had 30 miles left, and when i was 10 miles away from an exit it droped down to 3 miles left, than 0 miles left .SCARY!:eek:)

Im currently at 425 miles with the computer reading that i have another 25 miles before then tank is empty.

BTW, I use mobile 1 changed every 3000 miles as well as a new K&N performance oil filter every 3000 miles. As well as 93 octane (US) rated gasoline. Every once and a while i use a fuel additive that claims to increase fuel efficiency, however on this tank full im not.

umm i know ive had it say 4 miles on my way to school one day as i was pulling in..i was late..anyway long story short i rolled into the gas station with 0 miles left....lol...anyway yeah ive gone over 18 gallons too.....even though my manual says i think 17.4(im not gonna bother checking) anyway i know some gas tanks have expansion tanks or extra expansion room so maybe thats it too

ohh i fogot to add i rely on my trip setting thing i push it in and when it says 300 miles i know im gonna have to fill up withing 40 miles less i totally run out....usually i fill on mile 320....always seem to get about 17.8 gallons in there when i wait till mile 320 since the last illup

maybe i got a bad o2 sensor, or more likely a heavy foot :cheesy: .......

#14 ·
My 1989 9000 CDE took about 18 gallons from bone dry and you could drive from boston to the canadian border on one tank.

Did we ever figure out the black DI cassette milage increase? I would be interested in increasing the mileage for sure.

I want to drive to canada AND BACK on a tank of gas! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.