SaabCentral Forums banner

over heated now what

613 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  yogi_9000cse 
#1 · (Edited)
last week my car over heated what hapend was i replaced the house and didnt have the money to buy antifrez. Well a few weeks went on and i forgot to get some to out in it. we got some cold weather and when i went to work about 30 miles the tem went up to the red, i didnt see any stem coming up when i poped the hood i could smell oil burn and the radeater was cold to tuch. I let it worm up and drove it home with no proplems. Now im geting a knoking noise in the engin when im going about 20 to 30 and small amount of oil builed up around the head or valve cover idk this is my first saab and i dont have a manual but i got it up on jack stand and wanted to know what this to look for today. ALso im going to changes the oil how much oil do i need to put in a 1994 saab 9000 cse non turbo?

#2 ·
"idk" ??

You could well have warped the head, cracked the head or if you're lucky just blown the headgasket. If you're very lucky, you might just be able to top it up, including antifreeze this time and be on your way. It's a 50% mixture required.

As for oil, I never get too fussed about what the manual says, change the filter and fill until the level reaches the right bit on the dipstick, run the car for a bit to make sure the filter has filled up and check again. It's between 4 to 5 litres or thereabouts but as I said, to me it's irrelevant what the manual says, surely everyone goes by the dipstick instead of measuring precise quantities to add?

David.

#3 ·
thanks ya i go by the dip stick i just wanter how much to buy. but i have a small leak from the oil plug and i think i need a new gasket but i think my water pump is messed up now so i have know idea what to do now i think im going to sell this car get w/e i can for it and try to find me a turbo like i want and have the tranny and engine rebuilt in a few mounthes hope it last that long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.