SaabCentral Forums banner

Splash guard fixings?

838 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Norman Lovie 
#1 ·
I have a late '96 Aero. I recently had reason to remove the 3 splash panels under the engine and it was a real nightmare. Half the fixings were either rusted or missing, and the rest were a mixture of roofing bolts, nuts & other make-do fasteners.

The problem is that a lot of the plastic captive nuts are missing. Does anyone know the spec of these and where I could get hold of bunch of new ones so I can make a proper job of securing the panels? I also have a similar situation with the wheel arch strips, but I haven't had to remove them yet...

Cheers

#3 ·
Speedy1 said:
I have a late '96 Aero. I recently had reason to remove the 3 splash panels under the engine and it was a real nightmare. Half the fixings were either rusted or missing, and the rest were a mixture of roofing bolts, nuts & other make-do fasteners.

The problem is that a lot of the plastic captive nuts are missing. Does anyone know the spec of these and where I could get hold of bunch of new ones so I can make a proper job of securing the panels? I also have a similar situation with the wheel arch strips, but I haven't had to remove them yet...

Cheers
I haven't had to replace the plastic ones that go into the subframe but the others that go into the panels themselves are metal and a dealer will have them. I replaced most of mine, you need to either use a tool to compress them first or squash them in the vice which is a bit less precise. Jack nuts is a term sometimes used to describe them.

I generally do mine up with plenty of copper grease and only hand tight, no problems since.

David.

#4 ·
djtaylor said:
I haven't had to replace the plastic ones that go into the subframe but the others that go into the panels themselves are metal and a dealer will have them. I replaced most of mine, you need to either use a tool to compress them first or squash them in the vice which is a bit less precise. Jack nuts is a term sometimes used to describe them.

I generally do mine up with plenty of copper grease and only hand tight, no problems since.

David.
Thanks for the info DJ. I'd thought some were missing, but I guess they fit to the actual panel where they overlap.. doh! Looks like a call to Western Saab then.
Cheers

#5 ·
Not sure where Scotland you are but your best bet is to go to a local breakers for the blue plastic insert,s, you,ll find the wheel arch trim nuts & bolts are SS & therfore should be good, & for the rest replace with 15mm M6 SS bolts. For the rubber grommet nuts that go between the panels, I use Dutz fastners ( 1/2 turn locking clips that are commonly used in motorbike body panels)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.