SaabCentral Forums banner

Questions about replacing exh. man. -to- turbo gasket-

690 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cotton42090 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm needing to replace the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo (inlet of hot side).
I was told by one person to just undo the 'bolts' holding the turbo to the exhaust man. and just push the turbo down to slide the new gasket in.
I looked at my setup ('88 9000T) and the 'bolts' are actually studs, and I cannot access the rear 2 nuts. If I were to get these 4 nuts off, I wouldn't be able to push the turbo down, because the oil lines are solid. They're not gonna wanna bend, right? Plus, since the turbo is attached with studs, not bolts, the turbo will have to be pushed down all the way clear of the studs to change the gasket. That's like over an inch.

I've been told that this is an 'easy' job, but on my car it looks impossible without removing the entire exhaust manifold/turbo assembly. Dammit!

Any help/advice/insight will be very much appreciated, as this leak is getting worse, and robbing my precious horsepower!

--Reuben

#3 ·
the#1 said:
I cannot access the rear 2 nuts. If I were to get these 4 nuts off
Run the engine first, get it nice and hot and crack the nuts while still hot.

I found that to do the rear right hand one, I got my hand in round the back from the left. (It might have been the rear left hand one, accessed via the right hand side?) Sounds odd I know but it worked and I have large hands. Some people have cut open ended spanners in half, others use crescent spanners but I just used a regular spanner and didn't find it too difficult other than 5 degrees of movement per spanner effort.

David.

#4 ·
Just use lots of precise heat. Try a torch if you have one, or just run the car. If you were looking at the turbo from the front of the car, i found that it was easy to get to the right rear one by fitting a universal joint on to the end of a couple long extension, and using a 3/4 ratchet. That seemed to do the trick for me anyway. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.