SaabCentral Forums banner

Sunroof exterior lining replacement?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  its_tricky83 
#1 ·
Is it difficult to remove and replace the seal/fabric-lining around the sunroof?
It's the part which fills the gap around the sunroof window and has a velvet surface.

Also does anyone know approx how much the seal would cost?

#2 ·
Not that this is any help but it's related to the question, I was wondering if a moonroof can be put in a car that has a sunroof (Moonroof = glass and Sunroof =just an opening in roof). Just wondering because I know of three 9ks that all have moonroofs at a near by junkyard.

#3 ·
Promaine said:
Not that this is any help but it's related to the question, I was wondering if a moonroof can be put in a car that has a sunroof (Moonroof = glass and Sunroof =just an opening in roof). Just wondering because I know of three 9ks that all have moonroofs at a near by junkyard.
Umm, in my parts of the world its all just a sunroof. Mine is glass and opens upways a few inches or slides all the way back or as far back as you like. Then also has a second "blind" of sorts which closes to block the sun. It's very common on saabs.

here's a pic of my STUFFED sunroof before it was improperly fixed.

#5 ·
i donr it b/4 on other cars and i had to remove the hole head liner to get to this idk if its the sam on saabs but after that its not to had but trying to get the headliner off is

"sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).:p

#6 · (Edited)
Promaine said:
Yes, this can definitely be done. It's easiest to swap the entire assembly as one piece, obviously. The headliner will need to come out. For many though, that's no big deal, as it probably needs to be recovered anyway. I am strongly considering doing this swap, as I think the moonroof looks a lot nicer both from the outside and inside. My only concern is that road/wind noise will be louder with the glass roof. I seem to recall that covering it with the rolling shade cut out almost all of the noise though, in my '87.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, how sure are you that its easy to access once the headliner is off? Would you rate the headliner removal as difficult as removing the dash?

I thought it would be a bit harder than just opening the 'moonroof :lol:' and slipping it off somehow.

I had ALOT of the moonroof parts replaced after being damaged by a breakin. But they forgot the fabric surrounding. They actually didn't remove the headliner, rather they broke away certain parts to get to the other parts, then just replaced all the parts they broke in the process.

Maybe I'll remove the headliner for them next time! :roll:

#10 ·
yogi_9000cse said:
"sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).:p
Depends on which country you're in!

Moonroof isn't a word to describe anything in a car in the UK, for that matter neither do we use fenders, rotors, hood, trunk, tires etc.

You just have to learn the ways of the world and be able to translate.

"Bashing a ***" in the UK isn't beating up a gay person and women are the ones that wear suspenders a man wearing suspenders would usually keep that fact to himself and women certainly don't wear "fanny packs" here. :)

David.

#11 · (Edited)
its_tricky83 said:
Thanks guys, how sure are you that its easy to access once the headliner is off? Would you rate the headliner removal as difficult as removing the dash?

I thought it would be a bit harder than just opening the 'moonroof :lol:' and slipping it off somehow.

I had ALOT of the moonroof parts replaced after being damaged by a breakin. But they forgot the fabric surrounding. They actually didn't remove the headliner, rather they broke away certain parts to get to the other parts, then just replaced all the parts they broke in the process.

Maybe I'll remove the headliner for them next time! :roll:
the headliner removal itself is incredible easy really it can be a little tricky to put the thing back in, and id imagine if your short itd be harder cause the headliner backboard is really fragile and you have to support its weigfhht fairly evenly untill u get it back mnounted up...anyway when u take the headline roff just look up and ull see theentire assembly..when mine was vandalised and replace my mechanic just put in an entire new assembly from a donor car of his......but i digress as a seal i cant imagine it would be hard to get to at all i mean the sunroof glass..the whole thing that is is only held on by three torx boilts on each side....with that off u take the glass sunroof off pop out the panel reupholster that and before replacing it just put a new seal on...it shouldnt be too hard at all especially if your doing it while replacing your healdliner:cheesy:

#12 ·
vnv727 said:
the headliner removal itself is incredible easy really it can be a little tricky to put the thing back in, and id imagine if your short itd be harder cause the headliner backboard is really fragile and you have to support its weigfhht fairly evenly untill u get it back mnounted up...anyway when u take the headline roff just look up and ull see theentire assembly..when mine was vandalised and replace my mechanic just put in an entire new assembly from a donor car of his......but i digress as a seal i cant imagine it would be hard to get to at all i mean the sunroof glass..the whole thing that is is only held on by three torx boilts on each side....with that off u take the glass sunroof off pop out the panel reupholster that and before replacing it just put a new seal on...it shouldnt be too hard at all especially if your doing it while replacing your healdliner:cheesy:
Thats what I wanted to hear. I had a look at my headliner today and man is it dirty now, it was spotless before the repairs. I'll probably take the headliner off myself or advice the mechanics of the right way to do it. I think Qausi's site has a guide. Cheers for the info.

#13 ·
man u dont need a guide...undu all the handles...both mirrors that flip down , the middle light...the pacstic cover which houses the reading light and other one up fronnt....pop off the a pillar trim and the c pillar trim pop off and leave on the seatbelt or your going to have to undo some seatbel;t stuff which i didnt wanna touch, when i did this i didnt have nearly as much confidence in my diy handiwork.......its all really sumple...ohh u need to pull down the weather stipping in each door...when i did this my rear doors didnt open so it was a little harder..i have since taken both doors apaart at got them working again :cheesy:

good luck not too hard at all kinda time consuming to rehuilposter though u got to get all the old foam bits off...i used a stiff and big plastic brush, worked like a charm no damadge to the board and the old foam and glue came right off, after i ripped off the fabric of course.....later

#14 ·
vnv727 said:
man u dont need a guide...undu all the handles...both mirrors that flip down , the middle light...the pacstic cover which houses the reading light and other one up fronnt....pop off the a pillar trim and the c pillar trim pop off and leave on the seatbelt or your going to have to undo some seatbel;t stuff which i didnt wanna touch, when i did this i didnt have nearly as much confidence in my diy handiwork.......its all really sumple...ohh u need to pull down the weather stipping in each door...when i did this my rear doors didnt open so it was a little harder..i have since taken both doors apaart at got them working again :cheesy:

good luck not too hard at all kinda time consuming to rehuilposter though u got to get all the old foam bits off...i used a stiff and big plastic brush, worked like a charm no damadge to the board and the old foam and glue came right off, after i ripped off the fabric of course.....later
Awesome advice there, thanks VNV. I wonder if it's possible to steam clean the original roof appolstery without causing it to come unglued. would you know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.