SaabCentral Forums banner

What Fuel for a '92 Turbo?

521 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 ·
Alright before everyone tells me to search I did, maybe I'm just not typing in the key words but all I found were a couple things about Areos and other arbitrary things on random posts. So feel free to just post a link of where it has been talked about 100 times over.:lol:

So on with the question, I was just wondering what fuel everyone is using. I had been putting in 87 Octane because that is what the ‘92 9k Turbo calls for however the yesterday I decided to do an experiment and try 93 to see if I get better gas mileage. I want to know if it is at all a good idea to put 93 in because it would suck to fill my tank with $40 for no reason if I can just use 87 or 89 octane gas. I may have to use a lower octane gas regardless the way gas prices are, I wish my pay check grew with gas prices:roll:.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The turbo control system responds to knocking inthe cylinders. Basically, you get more peak boost if you use higher octane fuel. You get slightly less fuel economy with higher octane fuel (double whammy cost wise).

If you don't have an Aero or SPG engine (which require 91 minimum octane to operate properly) then the regualr turbo SAAB engines are all designed to run fine on 87, 89 91, 92, 93 or 94 octane fuels or any mixture of those octanes you happen to put in the tank. The car will get quicker and quicker as the octane goes up. Unless you "need" to use full throttle and peak boost there will be no advantage to using the higher octane fuel.

If you notice the improvement when you put higher octane in then you "need" higher octane. If you don't notice then you are just wasting money.
Around town or at steady highway speeds the 87 works fine, but you will be getting less peak torque when you put your foot to the floor, that's all. The engine is designed to run on fuel as low as 87 and you can switch octanes or mix octanes anytime you want to with absolutely no problems, the engine computer will take car of every needed adjustment automatically. Not many cars can do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.