SaabCentral Forums banner

Still vibrating

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lernst 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I posted on my 97' CSE auto, regarding a vibration at 55-65 mph. A couple people posted responses saying it was probably a wheel balance issue.

The problem occurs while driving forward, turning, accelerating, decelerating and in neutral (at speed). I had the problem prior to getting new tires, and still have the problem after. With everyone saying that it sounded like a balance problem, I took the car back to the tire shop and had them rebalance the wheels, only to find the problem persists.

I wouldn't really call it a vibration, but more of a "humming" caused by vibration. I cannot feel anything in the steering wheel, or seat or..., but there is definetly vibration somewhere, and its getting worse. Anybody have any ideas?

#3 ·
I have tried to diagnose the wheel bearing problem by turning at different speeds, but can not get any change in tone no matter how dramatic the turn. Would a wheel bearing keep a study tone?

I'm pretty sure its coming from the engine/transmission.

#4 ·
Depends but the fact that you said that it happens even when in neutral suggests to me that it's a wheel bearing. Does the humming tone change with the speed of the vehicle or the speed of the engine?

Wheel bearings tend to rumble but interpretation of rumble or hum will cloud the issue! :)

David.

#6 ·
The sound/vibration changes with the speed of the vehicle. If I had to guess I'd say its in the drivetrain! Or maybee the crank pulley?

Wouldn't a wheel bearing change when turning? I can't get the noise to change for nothing, other than it quiets as the speed increases over 65 MPH. One other clue is that it only does it after the car has warmed a bit

#7 ·
lernst said:
The sound/vibration changes with the speed of the vehicle. If I had to guess I'd say its in the drivetrain! Or maybee the crank pulley?

Wouldn't a wheel bearing change when turning? I can't get the noise to change for nothing, other than it quiets as the speed increases over 65 MPH. One other clue is that it only does it after the car has warmed a bit
If it changes with the speed of the car and not the engine then it can't be the crank pully.

A bearing might change loudness when turning, might not depends :) If it goes away at a higher speed then it does sound like it's something resonating and not worn but why only when hot suggests it's something that needs to expand first.

David.

#8 ·
Ya, I guess the crank pulley was a stupid idea ;oops: .

I'll look further into the wheel bearing thing, now that I think about it, 3 years ago when I bought the car, the people I bought it from told me they had ran into a manhole without the cover...and had to replace the right front tire.
I have a good idea which bearing to check!

Thanks for the help.

#9 ·
I have the same issue - I think. I get a resonating sound at or around 45-65 MPH, and sometimes not at all. It comes and goes, really. I think it may have something to do with the front airdam on my '94 CS-T - it's a bit banged up and not really lined-up with the bumper. However, it's been like that for awhile, and this noise has only come up recently.

Maybe when it's not 20 degrees out, I'll get under the car and see what may be making this noise. Let me know what you find out on yours, though.

#10 ·
Id' love to see 20 degrees! Its been single digit here in Northern Illinois for a while. It's supposed to be near 20 tomorrow, I think I'll do my crank pulley.

I'm wondering if it's an intermediate shaft bearing. It appears that there is some type of carrier bearing on a diagram at e-europarts, item 13, but it doesn't list the name or price. I'd swear the noise is a large heavy shaft spinning a little to freely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.