Water pump needed now...this s**t never ends [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Water pump needed now...this s**t never ends

dtsirlis
7th February 2007, 06:44 PM
So the noise I thought that was coming from my pulleys is now a water pump problem. My guy here said the pulleys are fine but the bearings in the water pump are making that noise. I checked eeuroparts, about 150 for GS water pump kit and 50 for an imitation. Why such a big difference in price? What do you guys suggest?

And finally, how easy is it to replace it on my own and how long it would take? ummm and where is the waterpump?

Thanks again guys,

Demetrios :lol:

nc73
7th February 2007, 07:15 PM
I saw it on a post not too long ago. Search feature is your friend :cheesy::cheesy:
Couple hours to change it out.

earthworm
7th February 2007, 08:10 PM
Well, I do hope you have a heated garage, with a floor drain..

I cannot understand why there can be such a big difference in prices - as a wild guess - maybe one is Chinese ($2 per hour) the other German($20 per hour), the rub is : which one is really better?? IMO, they are the same....The bearing and seal could be Geman and the casting , machining and assembly Chinese..

Next thing you know, the manufacturers will be outsourcing to the man in the Moon - who is willing to work for just some green cheese now and again...:cheesy:

This we will never know...

nc73
7th February 2007, 08:20 PM
With that many miles, it never ends...it's repair after repair. Preventative maintenance is your friend. I'm changing my pump out when it reaches 100k. Do maintenance at your own time not when it breaks and it's cold out, etc.

dtsirlis
7th February 2007, 09:12 PM
Yes found some info by searching. Did not find exactly what I wanted though, I was looking for more of a step by step with pictures. I guess that is asking for too much but was just shooting for maybe a PMI explanation on the subject (with pics etc etc). Depending on how much my mechanic tells me and how cold it is outside I might try it out.

I have learned that the w/p is on the left hand side though ;) I always thought it was behind the engine.... stupid

jonnyfgroove
8th February 2007, 09:58 AM
The water pump is on the front belt side. It is under the power steering pump and above the a/c compressor. Here are directions for replacement (http://www.saabcentral.com/%7Emunki/technical/engine/cooling_system/coolant_pump.htm) on a 900.

Old Goat
8th February 2007, 11:17 AM
That's the trouble with older cars, once they hit a certain age and mileage, the various parts just start wearing out.:cry:

Good info jonnyfgroove:D

dtsirlis
8th February 2007, 01:15 PM
The water pump is on the front belt side. It is under the power steering pump and above the a/c compressor. Here are directions for replacement (http://www.saabcentral.com/%7Emunki/technical/engine/cooling_system/coolant_pump.htm) on a 900.

Thanks man, very helpful. :D

jonnyfgroove
8th February 2007, 01:30 PM
^^^^ Let's thank Munki for creating that site. I just copy and paste links.:cheesy:

RBatsch
8th February 2007, 02:49 PM
^^^^ Let's thank Munki for creating that site. I just copy and paste links.:cheesy:

Thanks Munki....but what the hill is 'Acid Free Vasaline'? Is that like 'Fat Free Honey'? Didn't ever think about there being acid in the stuff.

Pics are good...maybe Demetrios you could take some photos for us so we'll know how to do it?
Robert

dtsirlis
8th February 2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks Munki....but what the hill is 'Acid Free Vasaline'? Is that like 'Fat Free Honey'? Didn't ever think about there being acid in the stuff.

Pics are good...maybe Demetrios you could take some photos for us so we'll know how to do it?
Robert

If I decide to do it I will most def take pics. That I would want to see for myself haha!:cheesy: