SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 Aero Throttle Body Screens

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  UK9K 
#1 ·
Hi, has anyone removed the throttle body screens (in & out) and if so, has there been any noticeable performance improvement i.e. better throttle response, more low/mid/hi rpm performance, etc? What are the practical risks in removing these screens. Cheers Tony

#3 ·
I didn't know the throttle body would require a screen, only the AFM (Air Flow Meter) has one. Although my car is not an Aero, it doesn't not have a screen on the throttle body. Are you sure you know which part you are referring to mate?

#4 ·
Superaero said:
What are the throttle body screens you refer to?

The AMM uses a platinum hotwire system to measure air mass and that screen should not be removed!
Its a common mod to remove and in my experience of all my 4 cars I have removed the screens, in fact, some were breaking up and as it is stainless wire it caused damage to the turbo vanes. As long as you don't run an open air intake the filter will stop and potential debris hitting the wire.
The screems are a small restriction, thus its better to get rid.

I personally think they are there to protect the wire when out of the car or being fitted as it has a screen on the outlet of the AMM, as flow is only one way not much chance of reverse flow.

#6 ·
Which Intake Pipe??

UK9K said:
I didn't know the throttle body would require a screen, only the AFM (Air Flow Meter) has one. Although my car is not an Aero, it doesn't not have a screen on the throttle body. Are you sure you know which part you are referring to mate?

Which intake pipe is this unit. Genuine Saab??

#8 ·
SMSAERo, which intake pipe are you referring? The big goldy colored one or the ble silicon one? Or the throttle body? The big gold metal pipe I had custom made for me to replace the standard smaller aluminium one, the silicon elbow was from Forge Motorsport, and the throttle body with one smoothed end I had bored out at the intake end ONLY by an engineer guy for 10 UKP. ALL 3 pieces are NOT genuine Saab parts/available as you see it from Saab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.