SaabCentral Forums banner

New to 9000s - warning lights question

609 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  silversaab96 
#1 ·
Picked up a '90 turbo auto yesterday, and will do a few things to bring it up to scratch before handing over to my Mum.

Quite a different car to the C900 not surprisingly, and I can't believe the high level of interior finish, features and accessories. This one is dark blue, has nice greyish aero wheels, leather interior, climate control, sunroof and so on.

The engine is smooth and the turbo packs quite a punch too. You folks in here have been sitting on quite a secret haven't you? ;) Anyway, its just the ticket for my parents.

I do have one question which I can't find an answer on yet - the check engine and oil level lights were on for about 15-25 mins after first driving it, but eventually went off and stayed off. However, after the car had sat for 20 mins or so, and I drove it again, they were back on. It might suggest something to add that the car has sat pretty much unused for the past 4 months.

Any pointers on how to get this gremlin out of the car? My inclination is to do a sweep through the engine bay and just replace things that might be old/worn/faulty/due for replacement, for my peace of mind, and as a result also I'll know which things are no longer an issue.

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
I do have one question which I can't find an answer on yet - the check engine and oil level lights were on for about 15-25 mins after first driving it, but eventually went off and stayed off. However, after the car had sat for 20 mins or so, and I drove it again, they were back on. It might suggest something to add that the car has sat pretty much unused for the past 4 months.
Checked the oil level yet?..Could be a sticking level sensor, need to drain the oil to take it out. On the 2.3T its on the front of the sump led in place with 3 bolts.

#4 ·
Thanks a lot for those tips folks. The 9000 is a bit of an unknown to me, but having two 900s with the 16v engine helps allay the fear factor. The PO was quite meticulous which is a good start, nevertheless Dad and I are going to replace all fluids etc and give the old girl a good going over. Can't believe what a smooth and (for a 2.0 ltr engine) powerful machine this is.

Mum absolutely loves it by the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.