SaabCentral Forums banner

Replace O2 sensor?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  KevinC 
#1 ·
As I have previously posted, in the past two months, my '95 Aero has started to hestitate occasionally under boost (feels like a boost-loss problem rather than an ignition problem, best I can tell). About two months ago, the CEL went on, and reported 2 and 6 flashes. After I cleared it, the codes were gone until yesterday, when the CEL went on again, reporting 6 flashes. But the CEL is no longer on (although it still remembers the 6 flash code).

Should a replace the O2 sensor, or can I wait until the CEL is on all the time? And, is it likely/possible that replacing the sensor will fix the boost loss problem.

Thank you more experienced types for any input you may have!

#2 ·
Assuming that the 6 flash code means a faulty O2 sensor, I would change it as soon as possible.

After clearing the code, the ECU will take some time to analyse voltage signals from the O2 sensor before it again concludes that a problem exists, especially if the sensor is marginal.

If the ECU believes that the O2 sensor is no longer a reliable indicator of Air/Fuel ratio, it will "play safe" and make the mixture richer. In the beginning, you may notice the smell, and higher fuel consumption. In the end, the rich mixture will definitely shorten the life of the catalyst.

Finally, unless you have special knowledge in this area, replace the sensor with one exactly like the one now in your car, even if it costs a few extra bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.