SaabCentral Forums banner

Serpentine belt

806 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tatt001 
#1 ·
Well, i think my serpentine belt looks like its pretty worn and before it breaks i think i should change it but i dont know how, It seems like a straight forward process but idk. Are there any DIY out there on how to replace the belt? what about some short belt mod i read about, i think thats only for the 900-9-3

#2 ·
9-3Aero said:
Well, i think my serpentine belt looks like its pretty worn and before it breaks i think i should change it but i dont know how, It seems like a straight forward process but idk. Are there any DIY out there on how to replace the belt? what about some short belt mod i read about, i think thats only for the 900-9-3
The short belt mod removes the AC compressor from the system. Some do this for performance reasons, other's because the compressor is no longer a virgin.

This job isn't that difficult (I've done it in a car park with minimal tools).

Kenneth

#5 ·
Try this site
http://www.twinsaabs.com/9000/belt/intro.html

You only need to remove the front half (right side) of the inner wheel guard. Use a 3 foot 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 19mm socket on the tensioner pully bolt. Push breaker bar towards the windscreen.
You can hold the tension while you slip the belt off. Be careful de-compressing the shock DO IT slowly. If the shock opens to fast without tension (belt off the pulleys) it will blow it's spring, been there done that.
E europarts sell the bushings for the shock mounts which can be replaced if they are loose.
There is a special tool, but once you have de-compressed the shock you can remove it. Slip on the special tool (so the bracket isn't under too much stress)and remove the tensioner pulley. I think the idler pully is 17mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.