SaabCentral Forums banner

busted speed sensor

662 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PetesGriffon 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum. I recently bought a '93 Saab 9000 5-speed. The car needed a new clutch so i had one put in by a local mechanic. After getting the car back I realized that the speedometer dosent work. Has anyone done this repair or have any suggestions? Im kinda tired of dealing with local mechanics and getting screwed so I'd rather do it myself if possible. Thanks. -Jesse

#2 ·
The speed sensor has to be disconnected or removed to replace the clutch.
They often break when you have to remove an old one, but maybe it's just disconnected. Either way, they should tell you why it doesn't work.
If it needs a new sensor, they should put it in for free, you should buy the part.

#3 ·
silvio said:
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum. I recently bought a '93 Saab 9000 5-speed. The car needed a new clutch so i had one put in by a local mechanic. After getting the car back I realized that the speedometer dosent work. Has anyone done this repair or have any suggestions? Im kinda tired of dealing with local mechanics and getting screwed so I'd rather do it myself if possible. Thanks. -Jesse
It cound be something simple like a break in the 2 core signal cable, had the same problem last time I had my clutch fitted. They forget to remove the sensor and drop the gearbox which snaps the wires.

#4 ·
If it is the same sensor as on automatics....it is located right above the differential inbetween the 2 axles. It is a small drum facing up and down with a connector coming off the top. It is held in by a single bolt in the differential housing right below the base of the cylinder. They are usually stuck real good after 10+ years and might take some tugging to get it loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.