SaabCentral Forums banner

type of transmission fluid

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  saabscania900 
#1 ·
What type of transmission fluid would be best for an 89 Saab 9000? I get confused because of the Dextron 11 and Dextron 111 choice. One shop suggested there is no difference and the other said there is a big difference. The one difference that I noticed is that the Dextron 111 is at least half the price. The book says to use Dextron 11 and I am curious what other drivers use.

Thanks in advance Steve

#3 ·
i believe dexron III replaced dexron II a while ago. At least thats the explanation the guy at VIP auto parts gave me. He said that auto tranny fluids are pretty generic and that a dexron III is fine if not better. (this was for my land rover discovery, not my saab) So far its been working fine, after about 2,000 miles.

The Land rover said use dexron II h rated or something like that, VIP didnt even offer dexron II so i had to get III

#4 ·
Dexron II was replaced by Dexron III, which was updated several times. Latest version was Dexron IIIg. That has now been replaced by Dexron VI, also backward compatible.

If the fluid hasn't been changed in a while, I suggest you pick up a case of new ATF, at least Dexron IIIg. Drain out what you can, replace with equal amount (about 3 qts), drive a while to mix. Repeat. Repeat. If you still have enough new ATF, repeat.

While you are at it, you might want to change the Power Steering fluid, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.