SaabCentral Forums banner

Ignition timing on a 89 9K

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Aaron Gilbert 
#1 ·
Ignition timing on a 89 9K I probably should leave well enough alone because the vehicle starts fine and does not miss. However, I think it should have more power. When I punch it the vehicle moves out fine, but it is a little dogy going up hills. It is one of those deals where you can give it some gas and it feels like nothing is really happing on a step hill. I figured it was kind of small engine (2.0) for a knida big car. I do not know because I have nothing to compare it with. Anyway back to the question, would I see the timing marks through that rectangular hole in the case of the trany housing. In addition, I do not see a vacuum line coming out of the distributor. Furthermore, I do not really trust the manual I have either, so could some please give the timing specs for 89- 9000 no turbo.

Thanks in advance Steve

#2 ·
An '89 non-turbo you say? I pray you do not have the automatic transmission. I know that the base timing (set at idle) for a '89 turbo would be 16 degrees BTDC. The 2.0l turbo does not pull well at low RPM (below 2500) when climbing a hill. The non-turbo would be even worse. The timing marks are indeed seen through the little hole on the top of the transmission housing. However, given the age, there may be some rust on the flywheel that you will need to clean off to make the marks more visible. Use a brillo pad. As for the vacuum hose to the distributor - is there a port on the distributor for one? I know that the turbo uses a vacuum retard to pull back the timing under boost. I'm not sure about the non-turbo. Without that vacuum line on a turbo, you would likely have pinging/detonation under boost, not to mention a vacuum leak.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply and yes it is an automatic. When I get home tonight, I will check for the port. But I cleaned the distributor up pretty good and did not see one. However, there is a vacuum looking deal down by the distributor and perhaps the two are related. Next time I am your area going up the hill on Highway 410, I will time myself going up to Boney Lake.

Steve

#4 ·
Wow, I didn't even notice you were in Washington. I go up that hill every day on the way back from work (well unless I take the backroads). Even my old '87 9000T did not pull well up that hill in 5th gear. If I was below about 2500 rpm in 5th gear and stomped on the accelerator, almost nothing happened. It would climb in RPM, but very slowly. My 'new' '91 9000T is worlds better in the lower RPM range. But yours being a non-turbo/automatic, it will be even worse than my old '87 was. I drove Scanwest's '88 9000 loaner a few times (also non-turbo/automatic) and the thing really was a dog, in my opinion, sorry to say. The vacuum port on the distributor is a large nipple sticking out of the retard module on top (silver UFO-looking thing). You can't miss it, if there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.