SaabCentral Forums banner

Contaminated auto tranny

701 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sp53 
#1 ·
Contaminated auto tranny still working; however, there is a noise when it shifts from second to third. Well I have been driving my 89 9k daily for a month after I flushed the automatic trans 3 times after its contamination problem from the radiator. It does not slip and operates fine except that slight noise. The above noise is like a brief chirp and if I let up on the gas a little right before it shifts, I can not hear the noise. Clearly it is difficult to offer an explanation, (one local shop said do not even try to fix it) but what I am hoping for is someone who has had this noise and the tranny went another hundred thousand. Or perhaps this is an unrelated problem that can be fixed with the trans left in the car (I know, dream on). However, I would say the vehicle drives fine, shifts up and down, and this weekend I took it out for a hundred mile round trip freeway excursion and it worked fine. Anyways, anybody ever fix a chirping tranny.

Steve

#6 ·
Hi guys and thank you for your advice I am really stuck on this one. I will ask around about the red stuff. I was wondering do you think that this perhaps could go away on its own Pete? I am speculating but if it is corrosion and I watch my Kara could I get like really lucky. Anyway other than the chirp between second and third I feel kinda sorta confident in driving it.

Thanks Steve

#8 · (Edited)
Even if it is only right before a shift? Well....either way you cannot get at the problem without taking the whole thing apart.

Pour some trans-medic in the case, cross your fingers and drive carefully. Maybe the squealing is slipping clutches since the ethylene glycol soaked into the clutchpacks from the cross-contamination. Then the transmedic and regular soaking with hot ATF from operation will clear it out.

Best advice is to budget for an AT rebuild. Mine howled from the front pump then died a month later. I got a core worn out AT from a local guy and rebuilt it for $500 in parts and paid a local shop $450 to put it in. $1000 is better than the $3500 or so doing it therough the dealer. Rebuilding an AT isnt terribly hard. Its just messy and requires about $50 in tools to get it done.

#9 ·
I agree with the tranny-in-a-can suggestion. You've nothing to lose and the stuff works sometimes.
Look for something that says "firmer shifts" (or something like that) on the label.
I've also used a cup of brake fluid for the same purpose with the same result (works sometimes). In this case, it might be an ideal solvent for glycol.

#10 ·

Thanks guys for your help. I went to my favorite auto parts store and they had a couple of different choices. They had a red or yellow or black can additive. They claim that each one works differently. I guess that the manufactory lives in Seattle and this is supposed to be a world class product. I will stop by and get the name.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.