SaabCentral Forums banner

Yargh heating flap

448 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 ·
Oh .. My .. God

this job has to suck the worst of any car/bike i've ever experienced in my friggin life whoever the heck designed this system, i want him to be stuffed into the friggin aquarium. :evil:

Much better, now

I got the car with a broken control flap, no biggie i thought at the time (how bad can it be right?? ) so I pulled the aquarium lid once and saw where the end had to fit back on, I tried superglue and of course managed to drop the tip of the arm down behind the evap unit.

I put the car back together, scored haynes manual and vowed to be back. So I managed to read up on how to do the thing and tore into it, all was well until the removal of the blower motor. Gawd am I glad I read up on how difficult it was before hand. Since haynes insanely rates this as a 1 outta 5 difficulty job (cake walk) and simply has "note rotation of the blower motor is needed for removal."

Rotate, yeah sure oh wait there isn't any friggin room in this stupid bulkhead. .. :evil: Finally get the thing out managing to break a mount in the process I think :cry:

Get some araldite onto the flap since shipping royally screws me on anything at all saab wise to NZ - and local prices are insane apparently (i will soon find out).

Why oh whyyyyyyyyy the heck does one make a part like that out of plastic, I can almost imagine the designers sitting in a board room literally designing the worst thing they can imagine. :x

So I go wait 2 days for the stuff to set, the arm now rotates the flaps as it should - sweet now to reinstall..

:eek: And I thought removal was an effort, I then noticed one of the false bulkhead clip/screw bits had snapped off :confused: and still it wouldnt blimmin fit. rotating jamming squeezing pushing shoving nothing makes the damn thing get past the hoses and into position. It was at this point i figured i'd check that the arm was still in place ... nope.

Back out with the half installed blower motor, screw this and screw it good - time for a replacement part, please o please have a metal replacement version or something!!

So while i'm ranting, the blower motor is also fairly stiff to turn - but I figure thats normal right as its quite heavy duty, like if i spin it it'll stop in a 1/2 sec and not keep turning. It turns freely and has no odd noises or difference in feeling turning it. I dont want to replace it, but i sure as heck don't want to pull the unit out again. Change it or not? It seems like such a waste, especially since I dont know the history and the motor could be nigh on new anyhow.

The rubber airflaps have also taken a pounding, looking at this stupid design it's no wonder.

Someone needs to do a video journal of how to remove and install the bugger, i'm *very* tempted to pull my whole evap unit since im 99.9% sure that its empty anyhow (seeing as the piping has a gaping hole and all..)

That must make the whole thing go smoother .. right??

See less See more
#2 ·
FruitLooPs said:
this job has to suck the worst of any car/bike i've ever experienced in my friggin life whoever the heck designed this system, i want him to be stuffed into the friggin aquarium. :evil:
When they designed the 9000, they started with the heater and built around it.
So I go wait 2 days for the stuff to set, the arm now rotates the flaps as it should - sweet now to reinstall..
Note, in future use Araldite Rapid or alternatively, make a new part out of Polymorph.
Someone needs to do a video journal of how to remove and install the bugger, i'm *very* tempted to pull my whole evap unit since im 99.9% sure that its empty anyhow (seeing as the piping has a gaping hole and all..)
You mean you missed this opportunity to video this for the Saab community? Shame on you! ;)

It helps to stare at the blower motor housing then walk away, close your eyes and imagine the micromovents required to orient the thing into the right place, then summon your jedi powers and recreate these on the real thing. Just wrestling with it won't work :D

David.

#3 ·
Ahh rapid you say? I thought for 1940's stuff they could've made advances haha :lol:

It's not in the car yet, the part is shagged. Polymorph? how would I make just the arm?, its a solid case mould that includes the axle going thru the foam flap

Still time for a video if i remember, but really and truely my example would be 'how not to install the blower motor' if my previous attempt is anything to go by! :cheesy:

#4 ·
FruitLooPs said:
It's not in the car yet, the part is shagged. Polymorph? how would I make just the arm?, its a solid case mould that includes the axle going thru the foam flap
Polymorph is a low temperature thermoplastic that becomes mouldable in hot water then sets like nylon and can be machined.

http://www.mutr.co.uk/prodDetail.aspx?prodID=576

It's pretty neat stuff, you should be able to mould it around the broken part and then make a new bit on the end which you can then drill.

David.

#5 ·
They used to have a repair piece. A metal replacement arm that fit over the broken plastic one; without disassembly. Maybe they still do. The part # would be in the service bulletin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.