SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 question

684 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  djtaylor 
#1 ·
So I'm normally a 900 series driver. But in an opportunity presented itself for a 9000 I looked and I liked what I saw. However the alternator appears to be not working as I had to jump the car to get it running. Its a 1991 9000s NA 5spd. the interior is okay, leather seats are in need of some tlc, the body is very clean, it looks to have been well cared for.

The alternator looks like a bear to get to. If I farm it out to my mechanic what should I expect to shell out? I'm trying to decide whether I should continue looking for another 900 or try something new here.

I can pick it up for 800 usd as is.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards

Bryan

#2 ·
i used to have a NG900, personally i enjoy the 9000 much more, its a completely differently designed car, so your personal oppinion has a lot to do with it, however im pretty sure the 9000 it typically more expensive to fix, if you can do a lot of work yourself you should be fine.

Since its a non turbo its probably in way better functioning condition that a turbo, at least i would expect.

Anyways thats as far as my help goes at this point, im not sure how much a new alternator would cost. $800 bucks is a pretty nice price tho, you could probably make a profit selling its parts :lol:

#3 ·
truckie707 said:
The alternator looks like a bear to get to. If I farm it out to my mechanic what should I expect to shell out? I'm trying to decide whether I should continue looking for another 900 or try something new here.
It's actually not that bad. Some people have managed to squeeze it out via the top but the other ways is to remove the wheel arch inner lining, remove the belt and undo the power steering pump. It then comes out through the wheel arch.

Should be a couple of hours work to do off and on again, so whatever that is at the local hourly rate.

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.