SaabCentral Forums banner

16" Aero Wheel's Scuffs

740 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just acquired a set of 16" Aero's for the 9000. They are grey, but without the polished rim. There are some scuffs on the outer edges which I would like to tidy up.

There appears to be a base coat and a top lacquer. Is there any quick way of covering the dings without having the wheels refurbed?

See less See more
#4 ·
KevinC said:
Hang in there until the tyres are worn out, then get them sorted like mine, at approx 30 quid a wheel w/o tyre on it 'cash' price you know you want to do it...
i've done 2 sets of wheels at home in the last year "never again" if you want the best job and dont want to spend 80 quid on the stuff to prep them right and on tins of spray and spend every evening for 2 weeks to do them and dont forget the mess it all makes at your home, pay the 120 quid! i've done my speedlines black, its the worst colour to do and its drove me MAD!:nono;

#5 · (Edited)
KevinC said:
Hang in there until the tyres are worn out, then get them sorted like mine, at approx 30 quid a wheel w/o tyre on it 'cash' price you know you want to do it...
£30?????? Where do I go for that?

I'll be going that option. Well chuffed with the wheels though. Complete change to the look of the car compared to 15" twirly's. Question is though; keep them all anthracite or have the flat polished ala Carlson.

Also the current tyres are 205/50's which give a smaller diameter that the 195/65/15's which I have replaced. Are 205/55 or 215/55's a better bet?

Just got to drop in the speed-parts ecu which arrived yesterday and we'll be cooking on gas.

#6 ·
Jason Bye said:

I'll be going that option. Well chuffed with the wheels though. Complete change to the look of the car compared to 15" twirly's. Question is though; keep them all anthracite or have the flat polished ala Carlson.

Also the current tyres are 205/50's which give a smaller diameter that the 195/65/15's which I have replaced. Are 205/55 or 215/55's a better bet?

Just got to drop in the speed-parts ecu which arrived yesterday and we'll be cooking on gas.
Try http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/index.htm

Great job polishing the edge and p/c painting, shame they are unable to match colours for plastic wheel caps though...

#7 ·
Jason Bye said:

Is it ok / Recommeded to fit 215,s versus 205,s on the 61/2" x 16 aero wheels???

#8 ·
205/55x16 tires will work well. Width of the tire is not terribly relevant to handling on acar like the 9000 which is set up for relatively narrow tires. That 205/55x16 was considered hot stuff on the Porsche 944, a plus one upgrade to the standard tire!

Buy the correct 205/55x16 tire and spend as much money as you can afford to get a good one and the section width will not be important enough to worry about. I recommend Pirelli or Michelin but I have also liked the much cheaper Nokian ZRi summer tires I am using at the moment (after winter is over that is!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.