SaabCentral Forums banner

V6 oil temperature

764 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  KevinC 
#1 ·
finally, got the new guages in today - only one question.....what temperature should the oil run at? I only went for a 10 minute test drive and it crept up from 50c to about 80c - the dial is good for 150c. Just wondering how far up i should expect it to go under normal conditions?

#4 ·
Check what happens when you are in heavy traffic for a good spell (ie. drive in London!) and see if it goes up to 200F or more like 90-95C.

If not you may have a fitting problem, or less likely the oil cooler therm is stuck on full-on always allow cooling to take place.

#6 ·
Your oil temperature is governed by the thermostat for the water; the oil cooler is set in the block between the heads within the water jacket. This arrangement is vastly superior to the oil to air arrangement that is more typical, but, coolant changes at the required interval are essential to prevent galvanic corrosion of the cooler [really common fault] by old anti-freeze that has lost its corrosion prevention properties.

#8 ·
ragtopcav said:
Your oil temperature is governed by the thermostat for the water; the oil cooler is set in the block between the heads within the water jacket. This arrangement is vastly superior to the oil to air arrangement that is more typical, but, coolant changes at the required interval are essential to prevent galvanic corrosion of the cooler [really common fault] by old anti-freeze that has lost its corrosion prevention properties.
Never took one all the way apart, but I always thought the small radiator by the a/c compressor was the oil cooler. Have I missed something?

#9 ·
KevinC said:
Never took one all the way apart, but I always thought the small radiator by the a/c compressor was the oil cooler. Have I missed something?
4 cyl have the wee oil to air cooler, V6 has one buried in the engine block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.