SaabCentral Forums banner

Fog lights.

743 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Promaine 
#1 ·
First off I made an attempt to take out the fog light on my driver side on my 92 9K today to replace the bulb (even though it was -4 deg F :eek: so it was a bad idea). I assume you take out the first two screws on the black cover plate and then the three on the fog light it self. I tried to take the screws out and striped a screw on the actual fog light ;oops: and the other two just turn hard (even after hitting it with PB blaster a few times:suprised;). So any suggestions as to how to get the light out?:confused:

Also does anyone know where I can buy a new fog light because I have one new one and one cracked old one in right now.

#3 ·
Promaine said:
Also does anyone know where I can buy a new fog light because I have one new one and one cracked old one in right now.
I had a LOT of trouble trying to find a new light, The GM dealership with saab was trying to tell me i needed to replace the whole assembly ($175), And that really pissed me off, so after i got home from college i went to the local saab indie and they sold me two bulbs, $3.00 a piece :D

VIP / Advance Auto / NAPA did not carry it best to try a saab indie

#4 ·
I did this yesterday on my '91. The right side came out easily, but two of the bolts on the left side were a major pain. Basically I had to break the light housing to get access to the bolts to get them out. Then I had to use a vise grips to get them out because the heads were stripped. The whole thing seems like a very poor design to me. I plan to cut a metal plate to fit the opening in the airdam exactly. I'll attach it using the four factory mounting holes. Then I'll attach aftermarket fog lights to the metal plate. I just need to find some lights that are the right size.

#5 · (Edited)
Aaron Gilbert said:
I did this yesterday on my '91. The right side came out easily, but two of the bolts on the left side were a major pain. Basically I had to break the light housing to get access to the bolts to get them out. Then I had to use a vise grips to get them out because the heads were stripped. The whole thing seems like a very poor design to me. I plan to cut a metal plate to fit the opening in the airdam exactly. I'll attach it using the four factory mounting holes. Then I'll attach aftermarket fog lights to the metal plate. I just need to find some lights that are the right size.
Yeah I did the exact same thing I had to break the housing and then I ended up cutting one screw with a dremel and taking the others out with vise grips.
I was also thinking about fitting after market fogs in there because I can't find the stock ones sold new anywhere.
Let me know if you end up doing that.

#8 ·
Promaine said:
Yeah I did the exact same thing I had to break the housing and then I ended up cutting one screw with a dremel and taking the others out with vise grips.
I was also thinking about fitting after market fogs in there because I can't find the stock ones sold new anywhere.
Let me know if you end up doing that.
I have seen the new kit sold as www.eeuroparts.com and I think also at www.ips-parts.com. I am not going that route though, because the new kit is expensive, I think $140+.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.