SaabCentral Forums banner

Running Rich?

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  prionailurus 
#1 ·
Well, i think my car is running rich and the reason i say this is because sometimes i can smell fuel from the tail pipe, i have horrible gas mileage and the tailpipe is really black. What could be wrong? are these symptoms of the car running rich? another thing is my 9000 somtimes boggs down and loses power, when this happens i have to press the clutch put the car in neutral, give it a rev or 2 and then put it back into gear, it seems to work but then somtimes it does it again, i lose all power even with my foot to the floor the car does not seem to go, i was thinking maybe the engine is getting flooded by the extra fuel, idk its a guess, maybe the two are linked? any idea? please help

Thanks

#6 ·
Sorry, I am not experienced in how to check the injectors, or the Trionic system. The O2 sensor you can somewhat check with a multimeter, but if it has never been changed, or has over 60k miles, probably best just to change it anyway. The fuel pressure can be checked relatively easily, BUT, you have to have a fuel pressure gauge which you can attach and substitute for a bolt in the system (I used the one on top of the fuel filter). I wouldn't mess around with the fuel lines unless you know exactly what you're doing.

#8 ·
Most likely your coolant temperature sensor has gone bad, back of the head between # 2 and 3 cylinders NOT the sensor on the thermostat housing that just feeds the temp gauge. Bad sensor fails to tell the ECU that the engine is warmed up and can switch off the cold start enrichment program.

Another possibility is a leaking Fuel Pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail,not as likely but this would affect the engine all the time. If the vacuum hose to the FRP cracks (leaks) the same effect will occur.

#13 ·
Thanks for the help, i really dont know where that sensor your talking about is, so i took a pic of the engine bay, if some one can point out where it is, i would appreciate it.

and here is what the exhaust looks like (idk if thats normal)

heres our drive way

the aero is my dads and the black linear is my brothers

the two 900 and the blue 9-3

and my 9000

we have another 900, 9000 and a 00 9-5 at my dads mechanic :cheesy:

#24 ·
The bosch one on that site has the oblong connector, make sure you get the right fitment, a few $ more is always worth it to get the right part.

The red filter is for my cam breather (PCV) system, I've taken out the black plastic pipe from inner wing to turbo compressor and put a 3" stainless pipe in, so there wasn't anywhere for the pipe coming down the side of the head to go. I've simply looped the throttle body water pipes as it never gets that cold here, and I've sealed the small rubber pipe that comes from the turbo's metal water hose to the intake pipe, instead of the gases & little bits of oil going back through the turbo and clogging up my intercooler and rubber connectors next to it, I vent the gases to air, some people agree with this, some don't, but I want proper air when I'm boosting, not other obnoxious gases. I can't take much credit for this, others had it first, I basically tried to copy Marrk, some are using a catch can or any form of bottle to contain the oil that comes out.
I've left the vacuum side of the PCV alone, I was going to nip the hose, but I'm not bothered about the engine burning that little bit of fumes & oil, it makes no noticeable difference & the slight lubricant is probably a good thing for the upper cylindar wall (not 100% on that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.