SaabCentral Forums banner

Clutch slip?

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Marrk 
#1 ·
After quite a lot of messing about, I finally got my Maptun stage3 up and running at full boost just before Christmas, but it now appears to be showing signs of intermittant clutch slip at the top of the boost.

I'm slightly confused because I wouldn't expect clutch slip to be intermittant, and there's no burning smell either. I did consider the possibility that it was the teflon-coated winter tyres slipping, and the TCS wasn't responding for sume reason, but there's no wheel judder - just revs running away with no power.

Is there a clutch adjustment?

Is there anything it could be other than the clutch?

Is the standard clutch beefy enough for 300bhp?

cheers in advance

N

#2 · (Edited)
nefarious said:
After quite a lot of messing about, I finally got my Maptun stage3 up and running at full boost just before Christmas, but it now appears to be showing signs of intermittant clutch slip at the top of the boost.

I'm slightly confused because I wouldn't expect clutch slip to be intermittant, and there's no burning smell either. I did consider the possibility that it was the teflon-coated winter tyres slipping, and the TCS wasn't responding for sume reason, but there's no wheel judder - just revs running away with no power.

Is there a clutch adjustment?

Is there anything it could be other than the clutch?

Is the standard clutch beefy enough for 300bhp?

cheers in advance

N
No
No
No, although my standard clutch worked okay with 350hp/450lb.ft on my carlsson....it defied all logic but a new clutch on my 9000 aero couldn't cope with top gear full boost torque of about 290hp/340lb.ft, had to fit a SPEC stage 2 clutch.
;)

#3 ·
I roasted my standard clutch with Speedparts stage3. Needed a heavy load and some fast A road driving to cause it's final demise though.

Either Spec or the uprated Sachs PP will do the job. I have the Sachs PP and it's very tough indeed but has a standard feel to it. Others can speak for the Spec.

#4 ·
How difficult is the relacement job?

I don't have a garage, and dropping engine/gearbox out on the street is a no-no.

My other car is an old Celica, with the same transverse engine, side mount gearbox arrangement. In theory, there's a way to do that without dropping out the box, "if you've got skinny fingers". Foreseeing a trip to casulaty with my hand trapped between two very heavy things, I bit the bullet and paid someone to do it.

#7 ·
It was brilliant until I got my gearbox rebuilt and now it shudders at low revs when pulling away....I don't think its the clutch rather something happened when the gearbox was out, it also feels like the clutch pedal is slow to come fully back on its travel. Once moving its spot on and takes loads of abuse and loves to be slipped if a traffic light GP calls for it. I'm getting another one for my Carlsson...;)

#8 ·
Marrk said:
It was brilliant until I got my gearbox rebuilt and now it shudders at low revs when pulling away....I don't think its the clutch rather something happened when the gearbox was out, it also feels like the clutch pedal is slow to come fully back on its travel. Once moving its spot on and takes loads of abuse and loves to be slipped if a traffic light GP calls for it. I'm getting another one for my Carlsson...;)
The "I'm getting another one for my Carlsson..." tells me what I need to know, thanks.

#9 ·
Any tips on where to get a Sachs or SPEC kit from? PFS and mooseparts both shrugged their shoulders. Abbott seems outragously expensive (£345 for the pressure plate, £100 for the friction plate, another £60 for new hoses, all plus vodka and tonic - am I just being tight and this is the going rate?).

#10 ·
SPEC kits w/ p/p, release bearing, clutch cost approx $550 in USA or GBP 300, so in theory you could get one shipped and even w/ shipping and VAT over-taxing you should not be much more the GBP 400. Not certain the correct part numbers though, perhaps Marrk can help?

#11 ·
I had a friend going over to the US for a weeks work and I got the company to ship the clutch to his hotel and he brought it back as hand luggage :cheesy: .
I'm getting the other one in March when he goes back over.....I didn't want to load him down with 2 at the same time.;)

Shipping to the UK will be approx $50-80, also I think the prices have all gone up $50 cos IIRC I only paid $599 for my stage 2. Prod No.SS102
Anyway with the weak dollar its still worth it.

http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.