SaabCentral Forums banner

Auto Box Problem

812 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  PetesGriffon 
#1 ·
The Auto Tranny seems to immediately upshift therefore bogging down the engine. Recently when replacing the motor mounts I broke the little PVC/Check valve and just plugged them up. Is this vacuum realted or is there another problem? TIA

#2 ·
Either your governor seals have gone or you have unset the throttle cable for those symptoms.

The governor seals can be replaced with the tranny in the car and the throttle cable can be adjusted from the top of the engine. Check this first. It is the cable descending straight down from the throttle arm. There will be a tube pinched by a single bolt. Loosen it and adjust it so that it has no slack on it with the thorttle closed....or for "performance", put a brick on the gas pedal so it is at maximum extension (remove the carpet) and set it so the cable has zero travel left at full throttle.

See if this helps.

#3 ·
Thanks PG for the response. I looked at it today and it looks like a cable that is pinched by a bolt and nut coming straight up where the throttle cable attaches. Is that it? So I just loosen that and pull the cable housing down to take out the slack then tighten the nut. Correct?

#4 ·
Yup...if that cable seems to go straight down then you have found it. Loosen the bolt and then push the tube down while pushing on the exposed cable. You should push down on the tube until the cable is just taught. You dont want too much preload, just take out the slack.

For experiemntation, you could in fact overtighten it and give it a little bit of preload for a test drive...if it solves your problem then you can set it back. Dont drive around like that.

#5 ·
Well I took the cable housing down about 3/4 inch and it looks like thats as far as it can go. It didnt help at all. Immediate upshifting and bogging the engine down almost stalling it. Works fine if I manual shift it or at speed on the highway. Now what?

#6 ·
It's gonna be your governor seals. They control shift points in conjunction with the throttle cable.

You gotta pop the driver's side sideplate of the transmission off behind the wheel arch cover , remove the rearward of the 2 large bolts on the gears, pull the gear off, pull the bearing off and remove the governor housing behind it to change the seals. There are 3 rings.

http://erikssonindustries.com/ZF_items/SAAB ZF/4hp18qsch2.htm

30.020 and 2x 30.022 (3rd row of parts near the rear). The bolt has pinched sides but a good air tool will zip it right off.

Before you go and do all that, call eriksson to see if they agree with my analysis. They'd be the ones to sell you the seals anyway.

1800-388-4418

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.