SaabCentral Forums banner

Back in the 9000 world!

772 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Aaron Gilbert 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm happy to report that I am once again a 9000 Turbo owner! I did purchase the '91 which I drove across state to look at yesterday. Here's a picture just to give you an idea. This was taken by the previous owner, and car wasn't washed at the time. Car washing is not something you want to do when it's five degrees F outside. :eek:

The car has a few issues that I would like to ask about. Is it better to keep all the questions in this one thread, or have a separate thread for each problem? I checked the FAQ/posting guidelines and didn't see a preference mentioned...

In any case, the car has about 202k miles on it. The transmission and clutch are only 17k miles old. The car runs great and is definitely boosting well. It's a rocket (jet) for sure, and it doesn't help that the Toyo Observe snow tires have ridiculously low traction accelerating on dry roads. :nono; They don't seem all that great on snow and ice, either. Hard to tell before a wash, but I think the paint needs a good cleaning, polish, and wax, maybe more in a few spots. The interior condition is excellent, with the only issue to note being a just barely starting to droop headliner.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok, so the '91 is not a popular year, I picked the wrong color, or? :) Well, I guess I'll get on to my questions.

1. The coolant temperature (on the instrument panel) never seems to get high at all. In highway cruising, it's only a few needle widths from the top of the blue section. It only goes above that if you stop and idle after driving on the freeway, and then only briefly. I suspect a stuck open thermostat, correct?

2. Do the stock fog lights perform well when new (both are cracked now), or is it better to just go aftermarket (price notwithstanding)?

3. The shift knob is rather worn and I'd like to get a new one (probably leather). Is there any place that sells them cheaper than $50? EDIT: Found this at Genuine Saab for $35.

4. Outside temperature is reading about 60 degrees F high. Can the sensor be cleaned, or do you just have to bite the bullet and get a new one (or used I suppose)?

5. There's a sort of knocking noise that can be heard inside, while idling after the engine has warmed up. It sounds more towards the front. But, it can't be heard in the engine compartment or outside the car at all. Any idea what this could be?

6. Is there any way to tell if the DI cassette has been replaced at some point? The previous owner had most records, but none of that.

7. Is the factory alarm worth using, or more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I can help with a couple of questions

Yes replace the thermostat, my guage did the same thing until I replaced the thermostat. It's either stuck open or opening early.

The DI cassette has a four digit code number on the left side of the part number IRC. first two digits year. Second two digits week of production(YYWW). So for your car the original cassette would start with something like 9134 or earlier.

Knocking noise something rattling around in the glove compartment?

#5 ·
Toyo Observ are very good in snow and on ice, especially wet snow. But they are awful tires on a 9000. My Aero had them and they had no grip on bare road and torque steered terribly. Very noisy also with a terrible ride. Ditch them asap and get Nokian WR all year snow tires. I also like the Nokian Hakka Q or their new RSi. Pirelli Snowsprts or Sottozeros or Michelin Alpin are also fine for the 9000.

#6 ·
tatt001 said:
The DI cassette has a four digit code number on the left side of the part number IRC. first two digits year. Second two digits week of production(YYWW). So for your car the original cassette would start with something like 9134 or earlier.
Ok, so I just checked the DI. There are several numbers. The part number is 9178955, which eEuroparts says is the current DI part number. Above that, there is 9852 followed by A433517.

So by what you say, I am guessing that this one was made in the last week of 1998? That naturally would mean it's been replaced. However, that's still some time ago. I guess I'll have to search and see how long these things last. Now, if I can figure out if the timing and balance shaft sprockets have been changed... The previous owner thinks it was done by the first owner just prior to his purchase in 2002, but there's no record of it. Surely it wouldn't have made it to 200k miles if these hadn't been done?

#7 ·
Superaero said:
Toyo Observ are very good in snow and on ice, especially wet snow. But they are awful tires on a 9000. My Aero had them and they had no grip on bare road and torque steered terribly. Very noisy also with a terrible ride. Ditch them asap and get Nokian WR all year snow tires. I also like the Nokian Hakka Q or their new RSi. Pirelli Snowsprts or Sottozeros or Michelin Alpin are also fine for the 9000.
Wow, your description of the Toyo is about the opposite of what I experienced over the past few days. I found them to be only marginal on ice, though ok on hard packed snow. I found them actually to be relatively quiet (at least on smooth roads) and the ride is fine. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are 205/55/16 instead of the recommended 205/50/16? I don't think I'll be going back to Nokian. Nothing personal against the company, but I had a some not so favorable experiences with the NRW on my last 9000. I know that the WR is undoubtedly a much higher performing tire in all respects. However, I'd probably only go with that tire if I wanted just one tire for all year round. Otherwise, why not just get much less expensive dedicated snow and summer tires?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.