Dodgy starter [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Dodgy starter

heavy_t
16th April 2003, 03:34 AM
sometimes when I turn the key to start the car there is just a click and the starter motor doesn't turn. This has been getting worse and worse. Could it be a dodgy relay? I think I'll start by cleaning up the contacts on the starter motor. hmmm

Thanks for listening :D

Simon
16th April 2003, 05:33 AM
Sounds like the typical symptom of a dodgy solenoid on your starter motor. You may be able to buy the solenoid separately but saying that a complete recon starter motor will only be about 70.00.

Simon.

heavy_t
16th April 2003, 06:15 AM
Thanks Simon! More expense :roll:

Paco
16th April 2003, 06:44 AM
Or stuck Brushes in the starter motor? In the meantime carry a French Wrench (Hammer :wink: ) and a suitable pole that you can reach the starter with (jack handle often ideal).

Why? It could (and will eventually) stick and not start, and all you need to do is whack the starter motor to unstick it. (rest the jack handle end on the starter and tap the other end of it). It saves you waiting 2 hrs for the AA man only to do the same thing.

Got a Matra Murena started this way for a pretty lady in London once....<Paco goes misty eyed in reminiscence-land... :roll: >

Sparky
16th April 2003, 07:04 AM
In the meantime carry a French Wrench (Hammer :wink:

:lol: Known in Coventry factories (when there were any :( ) as a Brummie screwdriver :D

heavy_t
16th April 2003, 09:30 AM
Or stuck Brushes in the starter motor? In the meantime carry a French Wrench (Hammer :wink: ) and a suitable pole that you can reach the starter with (jack handle often ideal).

Why? It could (and will eventually) stick and not start, and all you need to do is whack the starter motor to unstick it. (rest the jack handle end on the starter and tap the other end of it). It saves you waiting 2 hrs for the AA man only to do the same thing.

Got a Matra Murena started this way for a pretty lady in London once....<Paco goes misty eyed in reminiscence-land... :roll: >

Cheers for the tip :) - just tried it at lunch and it started first time. When it was cold this morning at 0530 it took about eight tries - wierd

kemosaabey
16th April 2003, 11:00 AM
I had exactly the same problem with mine, sprayed loads of WD40 on the starter solenoid and it's worked perfectly since...(I shouldn't say that...) :o

heavy_t
16th April 2003, 01:38 PM
:lol: :lol: - Funny that, just as I was dialling up I was thinking to myself "I'll see what they say to spraying a load of WD40 on the solenoid" - Thanks Kemosaabey :D. Spraying WD40 on things is about the extent of my technical ability...... usually seems to work though. :wink: Perhaps I should spray some on my dodgy rooflining and see what happens.......or not :! :wink:

I like Paco's idea of carrying a French Wrench (or maybe even a French Wench :wink: ) just in case - Should fit in the good old 99 boot cubby hole. I've got everything bar the kitchen sink in there already so why not :D