SaabCentral Forums banner

Just got a 9000 but... I need help, please?

705 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Promaine 
#1 ·
I just got a 1992 Saab 9000 (with traction control) today. The car runs well, it starts up rather sluggishly however the previous owner said it always has done so. The main problem I have is that the car "bucks" in 2nd-5th gear when you try to excel. I have had a couple ideas given to me; people have said it may be the timing and it is causing the car to retard the timing dramatically causing the car to buck when you try to give it gas. I have no idea how to change the timing on this Saab, honestly I'm taking a shot in the dark with buying the Saab I don't really know much about them, I'm just trying to get into them because they seem to be nice cars with lots of options out there. If anyone out there has ideas please respond, thanks.

#3 ·
DI (Direct Ignition, big red thing on top of the valve cover) Cassette, gives both those problems. Get some di-electric grease and coat the inside of the spark plug boots. Check your plugs are the correct NGK plugs (BCPR7ES or 7ES-11) and gapped correctly 1mm +- 0.1mm, and replace them anyhow.

I had one that was semi split, got shuddering under full accel and sometimes really sluggish start up for 5-sec or so. Changing plug and grease sorted both. If it doesn't a new DI cassette might fix it, but thats kinda costly :x

#4 ·
in my experience, when i had a problem with my ignition cassette, it would do as you described for a somewhat short period of time then whichever coil or etc that was failing, just failed and it ran off 3 cylinders. Same thing pretty much for the spark plugs. I had a plug fail then shortly after the cassette did also.

#6 ·
Sweet

Thanks for the help; I got NGK plugs and the car runs like new! I just need to fix the fact half the windows don't work, the sun roof doesn't move, and the driver’s side door handle is broken on the inside, small things. Love the new car though, I almost bought a Honda Prelude but I think I'm happy with my choice.:)

Then turn the boost up lol :evil:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.