SaabCentral Forums banner

Oil?

693 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FruitLooPs 
#1 · (Edited)
It's me yet again guys,

What oil do you all recommend for the 9000 2.3L turbo. I was down my local parts store today and got some castrol magnatec 10w40 4L on special. My flatmates accord that needs an oil change too - should I get somethin better for the saab and use that on the accord or?

It appears to be semi-synthetic according to the net, and it's fine for turbo use etc so whats the deal overall with oils?

Also filters, i grabbed a FRAM one that will fit it apparently these are nicer than the valvoline ones also at the store. Should I order a genuine saab one from the net or is there no real need to?

Also i noticed afterwards an oil change had been done at 130,000km's and its only done 1,500 since then haha - still it's a new car to me so I might change it to an oil I know I can trust. :)

#5 ·
FruitLooPs said:
It's me yet again guys,

What oil do you all recommend for the 9000 2.3L turbo. I was down my local parts store today and got some castrol magnatec 10w40 4L on special. My flatmates accord that needs an oil change too - should I get somethin better for the saab and use that on the accord or?

It appears to be semi-synthetic according to the net, and it's fine for turbo use etc so whats the deal overall with oils?

Also filters, i grabbed a FRAM one that will fit it apparently these are nicer than the valvoline ones also at the store. Should I order a genuine saab one from the net or is there no real need to?

Also i noticed afterwards an oil change had been done at 130,000km's and its only done 1,500 since then haha - still it's a new car to me so I might change it to an oil I know I can trust. :)
What you bought will work fine. Then you can read the 8,635 other posts and opinions.
I recommend 10w-30, I use synthetic and 10k change intervals.
I also replace the filter at the same time, whether it needs it or not, with anything that fits.

#6 · (Edited)
North Island Kiwis can use pretty much anything as you get no cold weather and no hot weather! Semi-synthetic is a good choice for you as you get many of the benefits of synthetic at less cost. In the mountains of the South Island I'd go fully synthetic for cold start protection, even though you don't get really cold like we do in Canada.

My bro lives in Hamilton and since he's Canadian also he laughs about occasionally having to use a Kiwi ice scraper to clear the windshield: a kettle!

Do that here and you get a cracked windshield with ice all over it.

#7 ·
Yeah we get no real extremes, it gets pretty hot, but not *really* hot like middle east or asia, and it gets cold - but rarely freezing temp and certainly not below it.

When I searched oil changes I got a million different threads covering suspension to fuel and everything in between - so I figured i'd make a new one just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.