SaabCentral Forums banner

Shocks?

810 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Goran9000 
#1 ·
Hi all, my first post. Glad to see there is a nice wealth of information in this forum. It might stop me from going in blind every time I repair something.. anyway

I'm just wondering what shock absorbers you guys use in you 9000's. Mine is definatly due for replacement and I just want to get a rough idea what might suit my Swedish beast...

Anyone any good words about delco? or monroe?

Cheers

Josh

#2 ·
The factory shock is about as good as you can get. Sachs/Boge makes them for SAAB. Bilstein also makes a HD shock which would stiffen up the ride if that's what you are looking for.

I am in North America and wouldn't put Monroe shocks on a wagon to be pulled by a horse! I was in NZ a couple of times and realize that the auto parts manufacturers in Oz and NZ might produce much better parts for your market than they do in NA, regardles of the craptastic brand name they might use over here. NA drivers as a general rule like soft riding cars and cheap shocks, a perfect match. Manufacturers tend to supply what the customer wants to buy. Monroe can make good shocks they just don't over here (However, don't they make a ferro magnetic variable ride shock, for the Corvette, or is that GM's AC Delco company? I know Ferrari uses a shock using this technology licensed from the US manufacturer)

The key is to get good quality gas pressure shocks to preserve the factory ride and handling. If Sachs aren't available in Oz (they should be) or are too expensive you might look into Japanese made shocks.

I also recommend that anyone wishing to upgrade the 9000 chassis to simply go for the Aero springs and struts/shocks as they are just about perfect. Costly though.

#3 ·
I had Monroe Sensatrac shocks and struts on my '87 9000T for a few years. It's been so long ago, that I am afraid my impressions are not the clearest. However, I distinctly remember that they didn't do anything bad for the car's ride and handling. Sure, they weren't any better than the Sachs/Boge, but I would not say they were any worse, either. That's great, considering they were half the price. I later upgraded to new OE Sachs/Boge because I found someone selling them at a price too good to pass up. I do remember having discussions with another die-hard 9000 fan, Paul Ellis, who also had Monroe shocks and struts. I don't recall which of his many 9000s that was on, but he had the same favorable impressions.

Of course, if all choices were the same price, go with the Sachs/Boge, as they are known to have a very long service life. If only all automakers used the same quality suspension components as what came on the 9000 from the factory... If they did, I might not be shopping for another 9000. :cool:

#5 ·
Yup, ya don't get wut ya don't pay for genrally speakin.

So if the Monroes worked as well as the Sachs Boge but were half the price my guess is they would last about half as long. Though I don't say NA parts manufacturers cannot make good parts, they can and do. They frequently don't however, so I usually stick to the expensive Euro stuff matching the factory spec.

#6 ·
Hi Josh,

So, did you replace your shocks ?

I am now in the same position (I've got to replace both front and rear set on my wife's 9000CD) so I'd be interested to hear about your experience.

What type/brand did you ended up buying and where did you get them (and how much did you pay of course)?

More importantly, what was the result ?
Thanks.

Cheers
Goran

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.