SaabCentral Forums banner

Funky noises

645 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 ·
My car has a number of funky noises but there is only one that i have no idea what it is. You can faintly hear it while driving at highway speeds but While Iam coming to a stop it is very noticable. To best describe the noise. is it is a grinding sound coming from the transmission area as i slow down it slows down i just had the Tranny rebuilt so it is under warranty but i still would like to know what this noise is.

#2 ·
Assuming it's an automatic, does it grind at idle? And/or while in park, drive, 3, 2, 1 or neutral? Does it happen after the transmission has warmed up? What's the ATF level like?
My advice "obviously" take it back to the rebuilders.

But here's my shots in the park

Inner CV joints?
Transmission pump?
Friction plates?
Brake pads?

The experts will be along soon, they might be able to shed light on the situation...
Good Luck

#3 ·
It is an auto the griding at idle is from timing chain

It is an auto the only grinding at idle is from timing chain. noise Is constant with no regards to warm or cold it only happens while the car is moving( so it must be either tranny or C/V axle) also C/V axle was replaced along with tranny rebuild. the rebuilders were having troubles with the trans pump(they had to replace it twice so i doubt they made the same mistake twice)I can only hear it i cant feel it so i would assume if it were the C/V joints i would be able to feel it but i may be wrong i dont know much bout C/V's but then again if it were the tranny shouldn't i also be able to feel it. I'am not sure I'am only beginning to learn about cars

Thanks for reply

#4 ·
I had an auto rebuild. Before the rebuild had similar symtoms. The transmission worked pretty good just the 2-3rd squawk noise and that grinding at low speed after warming up. Failed Transmission pump. I would suspect the pump. Have you checked you ATF levels?

#5 ·
I checked ATF level the night i got it back which was 2 days ago level was good and had the normal smell. when your pump failed did they tell you how or show you it. the reason i ask is because it went in the shop came out of the shop then went right back in where they found out the pump had failed because somthing inside had cut a machined looking ring in the pump. do you think that could be the noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.