SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 CS rear screen demister

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 ·
The rear screen demister on my '92 9000 CS is pathetic. It takes ages to make an impression even on fairly mild misting. It switches of automatically after about 10 minutes and whilst the edges are sort of clear, the central area is hardly touched.

Is this a common issue, or just mine? Is there anything I should check?

Thanks for any help
Peter

#3 ·
It's a de-frogger, not a de-mister.
It's a common complaint from new SAAB owners that the rear de-frogger won't get hot enough for long enough to clear mist on the outside.
If it looks even, and there are no frogs on it, that's probably all you get.

#4 ·
For the sake of avoiding transatlantic terminology, shall we call it a heated rear windscreen which is generally what it's referred to in the UK, the origin of the original poster?! :)

Same comments from me still stand, I haven't had a problem across two vehicles, only problem was when I forgot I had 3m x 15mm copper pipe and I then closed the tailgate only to watch the pipe scrape gaps in a couple of tracks. Fixed with conductive paint.

I think they generally work fine, which is why I asked if the elements were actually working.

David.

#6 ·
All the elements work. A thin line of clear glass appears along each one, but it never gets to clear the whole window. I guess it could be a bad contact somewhere in the wiring/connectors which gives a high resistance and hence reduced current to heat the glass, but before I investigated I just wanted to know if it was a common problem or just mine

#7 ·
I have had a bit of both experiences... Before i had to changed my hatchback (long story) that "rear-window heater" wasnt working because one of the contacts were the wire attaches to the window got coroded and broke off. The replacement window with different "RW heater" works like a charm.

So long story short, could be coroded, but be extra careful because mine fell off and then was no good at all.

#8 ·
When I worked in dealerships, it was very common for people to complain that the heated rear window on their new car would not clear the morning mist/dew off the window. They would commonly say that their other cars would clear the mist but the SAAB wouldn't.
They complained about it equally on the 9000 and 900.
The windows just don't get as hot as some other manufacturers'.

#9 ·
Jim Mesthene said:
It's a de-frogger, not a de-mister.
It's a common complaint from new SAAB owners that the rear de-frogger won't get hot enough for long enough to clear mist on the outside.
If it looks even, and there are no frogs on it, that's probably all you get.
I have a defogger. Frogs weren't included in the purchase of my car ;)

#12 ·
I see there's also an indentical thread running on the other Saab forum but rather than force myself to read across both forums, one other thing sprung to mind.

Have you tried cleaning the window? Plastics in particular do give off fumes/vapours call them what you will which do form a film over the glass and it could be that the window just needs cleaning. Of course, it's your car, we haven't seen it nor a photo so other than saying that the HRW should clear condensation/ice whatever, there's not much really if all the elements were working.

David.

#14 ·
Considering that it will melt the ice off the outside of the back window in under the 10 minutes it runs automatically in minus 35C Canadian winter weather I'd say it works just fine. There's something wrong with yours if it won't clear a little mist on a foggy morning. Bear in mind that in damp old England the outside humidity can be high enough nothing will clear mist.

It's actually a rear window defroster, not designed to deal with mere mist, that's what a rag is for!

#15 ·
Superaero said:
Considering that it will melt the ice off the outside of the back window in under the 10 minutes it runs automatically in minus 35C Canadian winter weather I'd say it works just fine. There's something wrong with yours if it won't clear a little mist on a foggy morning. Bear in mind that in damp old England the outside humidity can be high enough nothing will clear mist.

It's actually a rear window defroster, not designed to deal with mere mist, that's what a rag is for!
In my '87 and now my '91, the rear window defroster didn't really help keep the window defogged. It would clear ice, but that's rarely a problem we deal with in these parts. The only thing that kept my windows clear from fog is a working A/C, and also avoiding use of the air recirculation mode.

#16 ·
Heat only works if the humidity isn't also very high. Where I live it starts to rain if the relative humidity reaches 65%. We NEVER get 100% saturation on our hygrometers even when you can see it is foggy! Now that's a dry climate.

Technically, if the rear window defroster (OK OK deFOGGER) can't raise the temperature of the glass above the dew point it doesn't matter how good it is the window will remain fogged. The ice may melt but the fog won't dissipate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.